Moparts

Door to Fender gap

Posted By: bobs69

Door to Fender gap - 08/20/09 03:36 PM

Anybody know what the door to fender gap is on a 68 Roadrunner? Thanks
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/20/09 04:58 PM

I don't have my car here to measure, but it is pretty wide.
Here is a picture. This car has never been apart (fenders or doors) and never had a front end hit.

Mark

Attached picture 5429569-Copyof1968RoadRunner002.jpg
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/20/09 05:00 PM

Side view.

Attached picture 5429572-Copy(2)of1968RoadRunner001.jpg
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/20/09 07:44 PM

There is no set dimension. Just get a nice consistant spacing between the quater panel/door, rocker panel/door, and the fender/door.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/21/09 01:11 AM

Quote:

There is no set dimension. Just get a nice consistant spacing between the quater panel/door, rocker panel/door, and the fender/door.

,.......nothing worse than varing gaps, top to bottom, panel to panel,....if the panels are fresh, meaning ready for primer/paint/etc....I general aim for a 1/4" gap between panels, doors, fender, trunks, hoods, etc....after numerous coats of primer, paint, esp BC/CC the gap will decrease to about 3/16,.....if you start with tight gaps, on vintage cars, after paintwork, you run the chance of paint breaks/chips because the panels may rub for example in the door to fender gap,.....older vehicles weren't designed with tight tolerance opening gaps, that you see on modern vehicles

Mike

this is a 1/4" door gap finish on a 69 RR,....actually measures around 3/16" after paint, I don't "break"(sand) the edges of paint/primer build up when painting a car, after setting gaps during the initial hanging

Attached picture 5430474-BlkRR16.jpg

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/21/09 01:21 AM

Even the cowl to fender area gets the 1/4" gap treatment, sometimes with 2 nd gen B bodies, panel alignment can be fustrating, it's even worse for someone who has painted a vehicle disasembled, and trying to reassemble it, best to set gaps on panels, leaving them in place prior to painting, as it seems you can never acheive that initial fit, after removing the panel,....if unifom gaps are your goal, you may/will find yourself doing some creative metal work to obtain the gaps you desire,....don't use bondo on edges to create gaps, it will only come back to haunt you later!,....generaly after the cars painted!
Mike

Attached picture 5430493-BlkRR17.jpg

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/21/09 01:31 AM

Here's a good shot of a 1/4" door gap on my own personal car, measuring actually 3/16" after paint,....again anything tighter in the fender/door opening you could have contact between the panels, esp at the upper door/cowl/fender opening point

Mike

Attached picture 5430513-Carlisle%20144.jpg
Posted By: Kingy

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/21/09 01:45 AM

3/16 about the thickness of a good paintstick.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Door to Fender gap - 08/22/09 05:24 AM

After trying to find the same answer, I went with a little under .250 and it wound up at about 7/32ths. (.200 or so)
I am not in paint yet but I think it should be good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums