Moparts

ramcharger cable

Posted By: 70 buzz

ramcharger cable - 05/26/09 10:09 PM

My N96 cable comes out of the firewall where my new electonic voltage regulator needs bolted to. I'm switching back to points. I'm thinking the cable should come out of the firewall elsewhere maybe just below the balaster. This is a 383 ramchager if that makes a difference. Looking for the proper location. Thanks
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/26/09 10:55 PM

Does this help;

Cheers,
Dave

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/26/09 11:01 PM

maybe not;

mind you; this one doesn't have the right grommet either.

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/26/09 11:04 PM

Another;

...now I'm gonna hafta go look at mine when I get home to see which holes I've used so far....

Dave

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/26/09 11:06 PM

OK, I'm officially getting nowhere!!!!!

Dave

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/26/09 11:08 PM

I don't think either of the first two are right. I'll see if I have anything better at home.

Dave

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 12:05 AM

The first picture posted looks like the only way I can get my voltage regulator on unless the cable supposed to run below the voltage regulator but the way it stands now the cable hole is right in the way
Posted By: N9671X2

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 12:35 AM

The original grommet was painted on my car when I got it, but you can see where it is, right below the voltage regulator.

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 01:49 AM

This suppose to be the right regulator but there is no way to mount it without interference with the cable hole

Attached picture 5254498-P4529794.gif

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 11:51 AM

maybe Bill Allphin will chime in and give us an answer
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 12:10 PM

I don't have the car available to look at, but If memory serves my cable enters the firewall directly below the voltage regulater on the left side. There is only one left side of a car.
KID
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 03:46 PM

do you have the BRACKET that bolts to the firewall that the regulator bolts to ? 1970 relutors do not bolt directly to the firewall on a B body they use a bracket that bolted to the two holes that a 69 down style regulator would bolt to so your perfumed groment is probaly in the correct place IF your car is an original N96 car .

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 03:50 PM

Quote:

I don't think either of the first two are right. I'll see if I have anything better at home.

Dave

the second one is definitely not correct , that hole is for the plug that holds the firewall pad inplace , first one , at least the person used an existing firewall dimple ...

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 04:29 PM

I took a look at mine again last night;

- John's right, the second one is wrong for sure; it is the hole for the insulation fastener as noted.

- the first one is wrong too; most don't even have a hole in this dimple (although mine does, but who knows if it's supposed to)

- I think John is correct: the box mounts to a bracket that mounts to the firewall, it doesn't mount directly to it. My current thinking is that the purple car is right and the bracket gives you the necessary clearance.

Dave
Posted By: N9671X2

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 06:03 PM

Here is the above purple car, original n96 car.

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 06:21 PM

Quote:

Here is the above purple car, original n96 car.

Now that makes sense thanks Paul
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 06:51 PM

Different plants and possibly different date of production (relocated due to interference with the voltage regulator??) changed the location of "Ramcharger/Air Grabber" grommet/cable locations on '70 b-bodies.

My N96 '70 GTX ..... built in LA "E" ..... February of 1970
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 06:55 PM

Quote:

Different plants and possibly different date of production (relocated due to interference with the voltage regulator??) changed the location of "Ramcharger/Air Grabber" grommet/cable locations on '70 b-bodies.

Looks like its in the same location on my 69 R/T.

Attached picture 5255807-500-brakes,seats,steeringwheel125.jpg
Posted By: RJS

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave please clean your engine compartment!!!
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 07:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave please clean your engine compartment!!!

Better dust than rust I always say.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 07:26 PM

Here's a N96 '70 GTX ..... St Louis Built ..... in March of 1970

Attached picture 5255870-n96-70-stlouis-march.jpg

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/27/09 08:22 PM

Dan,

So what you're saying is that it might be correct coming through that "dimpled" area too?

Dave

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/28/09 03:36 AM

Quote:

Dan,

So what you're saying is that it might be correct coming through that "dimpled" area too?

Dave

Plymouth had a completely different N96 setup and used vacuum lines , the 70 dodge used the same ramcharger , except for the color of the under hood ductwork , as a 69 , they would have had to make a LONGER cable to move the routing of it and it would have added extra bends that may have hindered operation , i'd be completely surprised to see it coming out that hole on a 70 dodge .

Re: ramcharger cable - 05/28/09 03:14 PM

Thanks John,

I'm going to run mine through the spot below the voltage reg. Ahhh the joys of buying a car I never took apart!

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums