Moparts

air cleaner base seal joint tape

Posted By: buzz440

air cleaner base seal joint tape - 02/26/24 08:11 PM

I'm looking for the 2" piece of black tape that joins the rubber air cleaner base seal where the ends meet, this is for a 69 1/2 440 six pack. I know it's available from some suppliers but I was hoping that the tape isn't some type of special thing and that I can get a roll of it like at Lowe's or home depot.....any clues?

Later, BUZZ
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 02/27/24 01:09 PM

I think it may be a variation of Gaffer’ tape.
(Think Gaffer(electrician) who works in stage productions…they need to hide things with black tape)

There is a lot of gaffer’s tape, but most of it seems to be black coated masking tape, so the tape side is white. The gaffer’s tape used on our cars in various spots was black on the backside.
The tape for the air cleaners was possibly more of a high heat version?
Posted By: moparx

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 02/27/24 04:28 PM

black gorilla tape ? shruggy
just throwing something out there that may possibly work.
beer
Posted By: buzz440

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 02/27/24 06:46 PM

The black gorilla tape is good and strong( super sticky ) but way to shiny .... the original more like a 2" version of hockey tape with a slight crosshatch pattern in it.

Later, BUZZ
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 02/27/24 07:12 PM

.Joint Tape
Posted By: GMP440

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 03/09/24 09:44 PM

Maybe try the black fabric tape used to wrap handle bars on bicycles?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 03/11/24 02:14 PM

.Joint Tape

At that price its not worth your time to continue to search or drive anywhere to buy it !!!!!
Posted By: A12

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 03/11/24 06:22 PM

Assortment of Gaffer's and duct tape.CLICK HERE

GAFFER'S TAPE click here.

I have an old roll of black cloth 3" wide tape that might be gaffer's that I can't find at the moment. It may have an inch or two left on it and it was the go to tape when I needed something that would stay stuck the adhesive was the strongest I have ever dealt with. So strong you could hardly get it off of the roll to use it. I was looking forward to using it on the A12 seal so I saved it SOMEWHERE shruggy I don't remember what brand it was but it was the best tape ever. Maybe today I'll see if I can find it and hopefully it has a brand name on the inside of the roll. Might be gaffer's tape as it has a low gloss finish with cloth backing?

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 03/11/24 07:29 PM

Buzz I've been going through a BUNCH of A12 photos and I'm starting to wonder if that tape on the air filter base seal to the hood was used on all of the base. Lots of early magazine road tests and media A12's don't show that cloth tape?

Attached picture 69 HALF 6PK BEE CARS mag test crp copy.jpg
Attached picture 69 HALF 6PK BEE CARS mag test B copy.jpg
Attached picture 1528343-69%20test%20car%20800x600.jpg

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 03/11/24 07:30 PM

From the original A12 RR test

Attached picture CARLISLE 05 PHOTOS and SCAN 005.jpg
Attached picture CARLISLE 05 PHOTOS and SCAN 006.jpg

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 03/14/24 12:31 AM

Buzz good news/bad news. Found the brand "Bron Tape Inc" out of Denver but have ten locations around the USA. That's the good news the bad news is "expensive" at $25 bucks a 2" roll. Might try calling them to find out if they have it in a smaller roll?? luck

Attached picture BT-260_BK.jpg

Re: air cleaner base seal joint tape - 03/14/24 12:36 AM

The Bron gaffer's tape is $2.50 cheaper than the McMaster-Carr tape so I guess that's the going price?

McMaster-Muscle Carr lol

© 2024 Moparts Forums