Moparts

71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life

Posted By: McCandlessboy

71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 01:12 PM

Can't wait to have this on the road. Dad raced this car in 73-74. Was originally a 383 4 speed barracuda. Converted to a 426 and raced in SS/E. Car still had the Hemi that was ran back in 73-74 when I got it. I'm going a little different on this one as the goal is to make it a touring type of car. We can't grow this hobby if the only place kids can see these types of cars are at special events and museums. They need to see them going down the road. Travis Hess (Tuki) is completing the paint work. The 426 has a pro flow FI on it and friendly gearing to allow proper interstate driving. Hope to have the car back end of Feb. We'll have some assembly to finish and hope to have it on the road going to events in March!

Attached picture IMG_8253.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8209.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8210.jpeg
Posted By: A12

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 01:29 PM

beer
Posted By: 71vert340

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 01:43 PM

Beautiful car no matter how you look at it. Enjoy the ride!
Terry W.
Posted By: Droop69

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 01:43 PM

It's gonna be awesome!
Posted By: topside

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 05:11 PM

Cool that it will get some publicity - it's hard to stir enthusiasm among the greater population when the cars are hidden away.
Takes some balls to drive a car that valuable on the street, but it will definitely make the day for a lot of folks !
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 05:17 PM

Incredible! Question; Back in the day..why would someone choose a Vert over a hardtop for racing? I don’t understand the advantage.

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 07:39 PM

Today's progress

Attached picture IMG_8266.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8265.jpeg

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 08:16 PM

PNC - it was a weight-break deal, to position a car/engine combo at an advantage in a specific class.
Ballast (often hidden) also played a part, too, and could/would be added within limits.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 09:42 PM

Awesome and so neat, thanks for doing it. I’m excited to see the progress. Thanks for showing
Posted By: moparx

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/12/24 11:08 PM

thank you for sharing the restoration process ! bow
beer
Posted By: Neil

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/13/24 07:00 PM

Cool car. I check out Tuki's paint jobs on his Instagram page every so often. If you want a retro race car paint scheme he is the guy.

What rims and tires go on a car like this so it can be street driven?

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/14/24 01:49 PM

Wheel/time combo Isn't fully sorted yet. We still need to do some assembly once it gets back to Burlington. Then we'll figure that out. I outsourced a good chunk of this due to our space limitations. We have multiple projects we're trying to finish up now. Trying to button up a lot of 1-2 weeks projects so we can get down to just 1 big project at a time and just do maintenance on things as needed.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/15/24 03:15 PM

Will this car also be on display at the museum? I need to get around to visiting the museum.

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/15/24 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Will this car also be on display at the museum? I need to get around to visiting the museum.

It's getting very tight in there. The goal is to drive it, a lot. It would be at any of the events we put on at the museum however.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/16/24 12:57 AM

It would be great if you bring it to Rockingham and Farmington Mopar shows this spring. Your Dad with it of course! up

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/18/24 04:12 PM

More updates!

Attached picture IMG_8433.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8431.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8430.jpeg
Posted By: Redbird

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/18/24 06:24 PM

Really nice story!!!

The work being done looks excellent!

Being uninformed, a question that I have is; what is the best time period to wait before putting sticker decals over fresh paint? I realize that back in the day racers needed to get their race cars done and on to the race track asap. Plus the factories put sticker decals on cars as they went down the assembly line. Is “shrinkage “ a concern?
Posted By: moparx

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/18/24 06:42 PM

i have wondered the same thing.
i realize paint and materials are galaxies ahead of those 50+ years ago, but with today's costs involved, one would not want to ruin fresh paint by installing stickers or decals too soon, especially after doing a multiple color/design that has taken considerable time and effort to apply.
beer
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/18/24 07:26 PM

drool

I'll hazzard a guess, we aren't looking at any decals

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/19/24 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by 6bblgt
drool

I'll hazzard a guess, we aren't looking at any decals

We will be putting decals on the car to complete the look, as it was raced. I'll default to Travis Hess on when those should actually be applied!

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/19/24 04:32 PM

Vaughn gets his name added. He was quite the character according to my Dad.

Attached picture IMG_8463.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8462.jpeg
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/19/24 08:54 PM

I recall yakking with your Dad back in the late '80s/early '90s and I think he mentioned that car was kind of a hand ful to drive and they had a time taming that beast down...is this THAT car?

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/19/24 11:39 PM

The latest updates

Attached picture IMG_8489.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8490.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8491.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8493.jpeg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/20/24 07:38 AM

Did your dad tell you how much controversary that car caused at the Winternationals that year? It was a bunch, If I'm remembering correctly they enter it as a 1971 model year, not a 1970 confused
Same thing on Landy's 1971 SS/ D car, he was on his way back to his shop after being told his car was not legal due to something on that car that was wrong that I never got the straight scoop, on whiney (I think it was that he had a 1970 T/A Hood on the car and told NHRA that Dodge had ran out of the shaker parts when his car was "built") NHRA finally relented and let him come back the next day and race that weekend, he got beat in the first round of class on Friday boogie devil whistling grin
BTW, your Dad was and hopefully still is luck a great man, thanks be to God for people like him bow up

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/20/24 08:49 AM

It was an original 383 car so no gills. They made him cut them in, which he did by hand. You can tell when looking at them closely haha.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/21/24 04:02 AM

Beyond the obvious financial involvement, is there any kind of story behind Brooklyn Heavy's association with this car?
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/21/24 03:03 PM

Car is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/21/24 09:08 PM

Let's all chip in for an open-headers ticket fund !

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 01/26/24 11:19 PM

More updates!

Attached picture IMG_8672.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8670.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_8669.jpeg
Posted By: cudaized

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 02/17/24 06:00 AM

humm

Attached picture 1B378841ac.jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: 71 Cuda Convertible SS/E come back to life - 02/19/24 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by cudaized
humm

It looks so much better now that it has it's character back.
© 2024 Moparts Forums