Moparts

Wiper motor paint

Posted By: 6PAX

Wiper motor paint - 08/18/22 12:06 AM

I bought a 1970 3-speed wiper motor at the Nats to replace the 1973 motor on my 1970 Dart. It works fine but cosmetically it needs some cleaning up, primarily the motor housing. I would imagine they were originally plated the gold color but I am not that much of a purist to bother having it replated. What I would like to know is if anyone knows of a gold-tone spray paint that is similar in tint to the factory plating.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Wiper motor paint - 08/18/22 12:20 AM

Clean, spray silver, then fine a lighter gold to apply.
Transparent gold would be best.
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: Wiper motor paint - 08/18/22 12:49 AM

You might check with Eastwood. They carried a paint kit for these at one point.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Wiper motor paint - 08/18/22 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MoreParts
You might check with Eastwood. They carried a paint kit for these at one point.

Used it, kinda sucked....better off using the Dupli-color "metalcast" yellow/gold tint over Dupli-color Sea Foam Green over a cheap chrome base spray paint, experiment until you get a spray pattern/technique you like, I find that if you paint it like you hate it, you get better results rather than being anal about the applications of paint....

MikeG

Attached picture dup.jpg
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Wiper motor paint - 08/18/22 04:51 PM

6PAX - I am not sure what the 70 wiper motor colors are, but I painted my 71 Roadrunner wiper housing/motor (see pics below). I used Eastwood “Detail Gray” for the cast hosing and Duplicolor “Sunburst Gold Metallic” number DSFM351 for the motor housing, with the end cap and screw painted either silver or Detail Gray. I also painted the wire sealing with a paint brush using a reddish primer (I do not have the can to reference).

I just wanted something decent looking as the previous owner had sprayed the unit black.
Ron

Attached picture B451EF74-E71E-4C72-BDE6-854F6387C229.jpeg
Attached picture A1D5A913-D508-488C-BE44-B43E9E1CEE06.jpeg
Posted By: 6PAX

Re: Wiper motor paint - 08/18/22 05:04 PM

Thanks Ron. That looks nice and close enough to original for me.
Jim
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Wiper motor paint - 08/18/22 10:50 PM

Nice work Ron!!
Posted By: moparx

Re: Wiper motor paint - 08/19/22 05:34 PM

thanks for the shot of the wiper motor.
my motor has been painted black as well, so now i have a reference for how to make it look way better, without sending it out to be restored.
thank you sir ! bow
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums