Moparts

Sandblasting a pulley

Posted By: hemienvy

Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 05:14 AM

Should you blast inside the Vee ?
Would that make the belt surface a bit too rough ?
How about painting inside the Vee ?
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 06:07 AM

If just needing paint removal, I soak them in lye. Lye doesn't attack iron or steel, but it turns paint into goo that falls off or washes off. Leave the pulley in the lye for several hours, depending on how strong of a solution you have.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 10:09 AM

I blast and paint them, Never had a issue.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 11:44 AM

blast and paint.
IF blasting roughs up the inner surface the belt will smooth everything out asap when running. and in my OPINION, the rough part won't wear out the belt.
Posted By: charge70

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Moparite
I blast and paint them, Never had a issue.

Same here.No problems.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 12:31 PM

I wouldn't use something that roughens the metal surface. Use glass. If the pully Vee is badly rusted, might want to pick a different pulley. I bead blast them and wire brush the Vee (with bench grinder). Paint. Paint in V will rub off with belt.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dragon slayer
I wouldn't use something that roughens the metal surface. Use glass. If the pully Vee is badly rusted, might want to pick a different pulley. I bead blast them and wire brush the Vee (with bench grinder). Paint. Paint in V will rub off with belt.

I sandblast/glassbead pulleys completely, have been for decades, paint the entire thing, the belt will remove the paint with no ill effects to either, powdercoating is the only process that causes issues...
Posted By: hemienvy

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/03/22 04:26 PM

OK , Thanks gents, one less thing to wonder about.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/16/22 12:31 AM

If you have anyone in your area that does vapor blasting that would leave the best finish on your pulley drive surface. I recently purchased a vapor blast cabinet for my motorcycle shop and it is awesome.With the media suspended in water it blasts indirectly,the finish left behind is smooth and shiny VS the dry/dull finish of dry blast. Bare steel seems to be resistant to flash rust and it wont remove any stamped in numbers either. I bought it to do mostly aluminum parts and use glass bead mixed with the water.

https://vaporhoningtechnologies.com/
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: Sandblasting a pulley - 04/16/22 01:36 PM

degrease and then EVAPO_RUST< RINSE and paint
© 2024 Moparts Forums