Moparts

Year one disappointment

Posted By: robertop

Year one disappointment - 01/15/22 03:51 AM

I live near Atlanta, and I have used Year One parts for about 50 years for Mopar parts. Few years ago I purchased reproduction shocks front and rear, but I noticed the front ones to be rather “soft”, for lack of better words. I have a 69 part book, and it lists standard shocks for most engines, but heavy duty shocks for cars with a 440 or hemi engines. My car is a 69 hemi bird, so I have to buy those shocks from somebody else, because YO only lists standard ones; that’s my disappointment. Anyway, I am pointing this out for someone else in the same position.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/15/22 07:51 AM

I've been unable to find heavy duty shocks anywhere for my '69 Barracuda Formula S, only standard. The original ones and aftermarket replacements in the 1970s and 1980s were recognizable for their obviously larger diameters of 2-3/8" versus today's standard duty size of 1-15/16".

Any help with finding 2-3/8" diameter heavy duty will be much appreciated.

Attached picture IMG_2126.jpg
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/15/22 07:12 PM

Year One disappointed me so many times, I quit buying anything from them many years ago. Why not get some nice Bilstein or Koni shocks, even the cheapest Gabriel or Monroe shocks, give them a shot of black paint and install them. They will be far, far better than anything Chrysler put out 50+ years ago.

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/16/22 04:31 AM

I just looked at a new Classic Industries Mopar catalog, and they show 2 front shocks, one standard and a thicker one,"heavy duty" as they refer to it. Obviously I can't tell the diameter, but I will order a pair and measure them; can you hold for some time ? Hope so. A
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/23/22 04:49 AM

I've been disappointed by Year One for years.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/23/22 05:35 PM

I have used YearOne for at least the past 25 years getting parts for a total restoration of a 69.5 6bbl road runner, a 69 road runner convertible, a 1971 GTX 4 speed, and the past 5 years for a 1970 Hemi cuda convertible 4 speed. Never once had a problem. If they didn't have a part I used several different suppliers, from Dante's, Classic Industries, Mega parts, Van's, ECS, Mancini's, Resto Rick's and others. Getting parts for these restorations is more difficult than getting parts at the O'Reilly's for my 2013 Ram. As the saying goes "If it was easy every swinging d^$# would have one".
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/23/22 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by MOPARMIKE69
I have used YearOne for at least the past 25 years getting parts for a total restoration of a 69.5 6bbl road runner, a 69 road runner convertible, a 1971 GTX 4 speed, and the past 5 years for a 1970 Hemi cuda convertible 4 speed. Never once had a problem. If they didn't have a part I used several different suppliers, from Dante's, Classic Industries, Mega parts, Van's, ECS, Mancini's, Resto Rick's and others. Getting parts for these restorations is more difficult than getting parts at the O'Reilly's for my 2013 Ram. As the saying goes "If it was easy every swinging d^$# would have one".

Agreed, I've been using YO since Len A. started it back in 1981...pretty much ZERO issues over the decades, I find disappointments are usually the customer's inability to research/confirm his/her needs/requirements before purchasing parts and or services
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/26/22 07:25 PM

year one is ok, check the prices and shipping is all I can say

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/28/22 09:00 PM

Today I got the Classic heavy duty shocks, They measure roughly 2.3 inches in diameter, so I am not sure if they are the ones you are looking for; in any case, good luck!
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/28/22 10:29 PM

im sure none of them look anything like the originals
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/29/22 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by robertop
Today I got the Classic heavy duty shocks, They measure roughly 2.3 inches in diameter, so I am not sure if they are the ones you are looking for; in any case, good luck!

Thanks! At least 2.375" and 2.3" are more similar to each other than 1 15/16". A coat of SG black should make them look close to original, plus they are mostly hidden from sight.

Re: Year one disappointment - 01/30/22 11:48 AM

Kentj340: the shocks are already semigloss black, they are those in the middle of your photo. As far as the look of the originals, I replaced mine in the 70's with Konis and threw the others away, as everybody else did in those years. I don't think they had a special look anyway.
© 2024 Moparts Forums