Moparts

Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda

Posted By: sbcjd

Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/27/21 05:44 PM

My reproduction 1970 Hemicuda fan/ alternator belt came loose the other day. Heard rumors that these belts come loose at "higher" RPM. Does anyone recommend a good after market belt to replace these repos? Need part number to order one.
Thanks for your help.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/28/21 04:01 PM

I have Quanta numbered belts on my 1970 Hemicuda 4 speed convertible and I have never thrown a belt. I also have power steering and the belt to it has never been thrown. But my pulleys are all original and perfectly lined up.

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/28/21 05:21 PM

I have manual steering so I have only the one belt. I also have the Quanta belt that I installed 2 years ago. I have put about 250 miles on the car in the last year but the other day I took the engine up to around 5,000 RPM and then notice the temperature gauge going quite high. I shut down the engine and notice the belt had come off all the pulleys. My engine is all original so I do have the correct pulleys. I do have a spare Quanta belt belt but now I am worried if I drive the car that belt may come off. That is why I am looking for a stock replacement belt like a Gates belt.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/28/21 05:32 PM

I put a set of the quanta belts on my old 1970 Challenger 340.
Drove it home maybe 35 miles and they were squealing bad.
I tightened them up and within maybe another 100 miles they were squealing again,
I pulled them off dropped them in the trash and bought a set of Mopar brand belts and never looked back.

I need to look at some belts here soon for my current car . Problem is all the current belts have this horrible waffled backside that looks like crap

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/28/21 05:52 PM

I understand what you are saying. I just worry my belt will come off while I am driving the car and then I would have to get it towed home. They other day when my belt came off I was in my garage just running the engine. So I need a belt that I can rely on. I wished that I had saved my old Mopar belt.

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/28/21 05:56 PM

Does Mopar still make a belt for my application?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/28/21 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sbcjd

I just worry my belt will come off while I am driving the car and then I would have to get it towed home.

Carry a spare belt and a 9/16" X 1/2" box wrench.

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/28/21 11:57 PM

John, that would be a great idea if I were 50 or 60 years old. But at 82 I just want to enjoy driving the car for as long as I can and not be concerned about loosing a fan belt and over heating the engine.

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/29/21 02:50 AM

Take the one off.
Take it to your local parts supplier and match it .

I think your best option right now is a dayco belt. Or Autozone shows a smooth face belt in the duralast brand

Install....then drop the quanta belt in the trash and drive on
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/29/21 03:24 AM

John, that would be a great idea if I were 50 or 60 years old. But at 82 I just want to enjoy driving the car for as long as I can and not be concerned about loosing a fan belt and over heating the engine.

One of the pit falls of owning/driving an older car & having to deal with the crap stuff they sell for them today.
Toss Up: Use NEW questionable parts or OLD notable parts that aren't "aged/weathered".

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/29/21 03:43 AM

Bill,
I think that is the best solution to my problem
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/29/21 12:51 PM

I guess Im a slow learner that got lucky.. I run a single belt also on my roadrunner and a Quanta jumped off at high rpm, I got another and its been good to me knock on wood.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/29/21 03:22 PM

I was having the same problem and put on a Dayco top cog 15470 10 years ago and it hasn't come off yet.

Mike

Attached picture IMG_0634-1.JPG

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/29/21 05:33 PM

John, that would be a great idea if I were 50 or 60 years old. But at 82 I just want to enjoy driving the car

I'm not far behind you..,..if you can check the oil, you can replace a fan belt. The ammeter is a better indicator of a tossed belt than the temp gauge.

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/29/21 06:21 PM

John,
Would you mind explaining that statement as my ammeter has been showing a discharge with the engine running. Thank you.

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/30/21 04:59 PM

At cruise RPM, the ammeter should be centered or a little into the charge side. In normal operation, if a belt is tossed, the ammeter will react immediately where the temp gauge will be slow to show a rise in temp.

Re: Fan Alternator belt 1970 Hemicuda - 12/30/21 05:40 PM

My car has some older Mopar brand belts on it. They dont make a noise at any time cold or hot. But they are getting old and I drive my car to much to worry about it pitching a belt . Especially on some of the drives I take it on when there really is no ideal spot to pull over and wrench on it . Or close to anything parts house wise
And I am thinking its time to look into some replacements, soon
© 2024 Moparts Forums