Moparts

REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID?

Posted By: 05dakota

REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/02/21 06:31 PM

MANCINI no longer has the one for disc/drum. anyone?
Posted By: burdar

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/02/21 07:14 PM

I bought mine from "The Ram Man" at the Mopar Nats years ago. He had a big stack of NOS. I normally wouldn't deal with him but it was in person and was just a small part. He got all loud and questioned what my application was. I almost walked away.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/02/21 07:24 PM

tried to buy from him. after waiting a month to ship i have my credit card do a charge back. he doesnt return phone calls or answer email.
Posted By: moparx

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/03/21 06:21 PM

my one and only interaction with him was at carlise, maybe 20 or so years ago. as soon as he opened his mouth, well, that was it.
i didn't even wait until he answered my question, i could just tell what sort of guy he was, so i walked away. i don't want, or like, to be around people like him. down
beer
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/03/21 09:35 PM

User Moparjohn just listed one that should be correct for that MC in the E bodies parts for sale section here.
They used to be available as replacement parts at any parts store like NAPA, but probably not anymore.
Posted By: moparx

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/04/21 04:17 PM

are all disc/drum master lids the same in 1973, or are they model/bore size specific ?
beer
Posted By: burdar

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/04/21 04:23 PM

As far as the finish is concerned, I've heard most people say they are yellow zinc plated. Maybe some of them are but I'm not sure they all were. This is a picture of a 73 Cuda taken when the car was only a couple months old. It was built within a couple weeks of my Challenger in October 72. This lid is not yellow zinc.

The car never ran right from the factory and this picture was taken right after a replacement carb was installed. Everything else is original. I think the car has less than 40K miles on it even today.(original owner car)

[Linked Image]

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/04/21 04:50 PM

That picture supports what I stated in my article in Mopar Action in 2005 about Mopar original master cylinders, that 1971-1974 master cylinders had a gray phosphate or Parkerized type finish on them. Only replacement caps including OEM ones would have had the semi gloss plating.

Re: REPRODUCTION 1973 MASTER CYLINDER LID? - 11/04/21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
are all disc/drum master lids the same in 1973, or are they model/bore size specific ?
beer

All the disc/drum MC caps were the same. The drum brake caps were different but the same style for them for all models equipped with 4 wheel drum brakes 71 through 74.
I find it interesting that Mopar had so much variation in disc drum master cylinders from ‘67-‘70 depending on year and body platform, yet an almost universal 4 wheel drum brake MC during those years.
Starting in 71 through 74 they used a standard disc brake MC across all platforms and a standard drum brake MC across all platforms with only a few exceptions (71 hemi disc, e body manual disc being a few of the exceptions).
© 2024 Moparts Forums