Moparts

Primer or not?

Posted By: mickm

Primer or not? - 08/09/21 09:00 PM

Painting a fresh oil pan with Mopar paint. I have some self etching primer, is that going to make for a more durable surface?

Any hints, like would it help to lightly sand with 400 grit before the primer or paint if not using primer?
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Primer or not? - 08/09/21 10:51 PM

Paint bonds by 2 means: Chemically or Mechanically .
That addresses both your concerns about "more durable finish" wrt adhering.
WRT to "finish", that's a factor of the type paint you use.
Posted By: topside

Re: Primer or not? - 08/10/21 01:30 AM

I'd clean, sand, prime, and paint.
I always do on tin, and the paint's held up on every one - oldest still here is 30 years old.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Primer or not? - 08/11/21 05:16 PM

Some self etching primers require a primer surfacer before topcoat, just FYI.
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Primer or not? - 08/11/21 09:44 PM

I've done it all ways and haven't been able to notice too much of a difference. I've sprayed the Mopar paint on bare metal, straight over etching primer and over filler primer. I will say that the filler primer parts have probably held up the best but, not by enough that I would say it's worth it.

The etch primer I used was Dupli-Color rattle can and the filler primer was PPG that I gun sprayed. Probably not applies to apples here since any 2k product is going to be better than rattle can.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Primer or not? - 08/11/21 10:17 PM

Sand the pan and use some epoxy primer. You can get it in rattle cans but don't expect to see it in you local home improvement store.
https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/products/product/primer-primer-filler/2k-epoxy-primer-1/
© 2024 Moparts Forums