Moparts

e-body space saver wheel

Posted By: sbcjd

e-body space saver wheel - 04/26/21 04:43 PM

Did all 1970-71 E-body space saver wheels have the extra sixth hole? Or did some cars have the 5 mounting hole wheel?

Thank you
Posted By: m46rat

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/26/21 05:01 PM

They all had six holes up until sometime near the end of the 1971 production year. Maybe April 1971 and later they had just the five holes. Maybe someone on the forum could give a more accurate date. I have an original April 1971 spare with just the five holes.

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/26/21 10:04 PM

Mine has just the 5 holes. Would the date code on the wheel give any indication as to how many holes it should have?

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/27/21 02:35 PM

Could you post a picture of the valve stem area of your rim that shows the date?
Posted By: GVH

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/27/21 04:56 PM

Mine has 5 holes June 14 /71 build

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/27/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by GVH
Mine has 5 holes June 14 /71 build

Also, could you post a picture of the valve stem area with date code please. I will dig up mine and post also.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/27/21 08:31 PM

I can vouch for GVH's space saver having 5 holes.
I took a few pictures when there once but neglected to take the valve stem area or a clear shot of the center with 5 holes.
I'll do that next time there....
It is original to the car as is the bottle and bracket.

Attached picture gerryspace1.jpg
Attached picture gerryspace2.jpg
Attached picture gerryspace4.jpg

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/27/21 10:43 PM

I will try in the next couple of days to get some pictures
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/28/21 02:09 AM

Chrysler likely ran out of all those 1970 Rims and thought why not use the 5 hole now instead of the 6 hole. Lot of changes during the 1971 build and a lot at the end of the year.

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/28/21 12:51 PM

If I remember correctly, the five hole ones don't use the white paint daub on them either, like ALL the other six hole ones did.

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/28/21 09:09 PM

This is what is on my rim by valve stem K11 2 25 55 on mounting flange looks like II X
Will get pic on weekend this is to supplement the info Terry gave above .

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 04/29/21 03:21 PM

February 25, 1971, that is earlier that I thought it would be. Maybe this started at the beginning of January, 1971.

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 05/01/21 06:23 PM

My camera is MIA, but the numbers by the valve stem are K11 2 25 5.5 and there is no white paint dab

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 05/02/21 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by sbcjd

My camera is MIA, but the numbers by the valve stem are K11 2 25 5.5 and there is no white paint dab

When was your car built ? Mine is June 14 th.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 05/02/21 02:27 AM

A buddy of mine just dug this out of his parts stash, what is it out of? shruggy

Attached picture Space saver.jpg
Attached picture Space saver back.jpg
Attached picture Space saver canister.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 05/02/21 01:03 PM

That F-78-14 B.F. Goodrich is a good one Jim.
Tire and rim are Ford set-up...good for the 70 Shelby and Boss crowd.
Tire has the all important V-1.
Tire could be switched onto a correct Mopar rim for E-bodies, but is worth as much or more as is on the Ford rim.
Bottle and bracket are reproduction for E-body
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 05/02/21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mccannix
That F-78-14 B.F. Goodrich is a good one Jim.
Tire and rim are Ford set-up...good for the 70 Shelby and Boss crowd.
Tire has the all important V-1.
Tire could be switched onto a correct Mopar rim for E-bodies, but is worth as much or more as is on the Ford rim.
Bottle and bracket are reproduction for E-body

Thanks! I didn't think it was Mopar, but not well versed on these space savers. Thought the canister looked to good to be original...
Posted By: moparx

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 05/02/21 04:02 PM

i junked a 76 newyorker one time that had a space saver spare.
i can't remember the tire size nor the manufacturer, but the bottle and hold down clamp were very close to the blue color of the hold down shown.
i thought it odd that a C-body would have a space saver spare. the size was larger than an F-78, and as the trunk was very well preserved and the car was a low mileage [20something k, but was junked because of severe rust] piece, it sure looked like the space saver was original to the car.
the wheel was never used so the tire was removed [what FUN that was !] and since the wheel was full size, a full size tire was mounted then used on whatever we had going at the time.
beer

Re: e-body space saver wheel - 05/16/21 12:22 AM

not really related but close was looking in trunk yesterday with Terry my hook is 2931101 chrome bumpers .
© 2024 Moparts Forums