Moparts

Blinker light goes on when lights go on

Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/04/21 10:16 PM

When I turn on the parking lights, I noticed that my right turn signal light on the dash goes on and stays on. Does not flicker. When I turn on the right blinker it works. When I turn off the right blinker, the turn signal light stays on (not flicker) on the dash. If I turn off the parking lights, the turn signal light on the dash goes off. Does this sound like a bad turn signal switch in the column? I have done nothing to the car. Just started to do it this morning.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/04/21 11:40 PM

"Does this sound like a bad turn signal switch in the column?" ....... yes
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/04/21 11:48 PM

No. It sounds like either a bad ground or feedback one of the bulbs on that side. Go to either the front or rear and remove the bulbs. If the problem goes away that is the problem area. If it does the same go to the other end and try the same with the bulbs.

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/05/21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
No. It sounds like either a bad ground or feedback one of the bulbs on that side. Go to either the front or rear and remove the bulbs. If the problem goes away that is the problem area. If it does the same go to the other end and try the same with the bulbs.

Actually you might be on to something. My left front side marker pig tail is bad.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/05/21 01:08 AM

Yep, chances are it's a ground issue on a park, tail or side marker light.
Posted By: topside

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/05/21 02:54 AM

I've had that before, and it was a bad ground.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/06/21 11:39 PM

i had the same problem when i first built my 72 Roadrunner.
it was a bad ground with the front turn signal housing.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/07/21 11:29 AM

I also just when thru this on a customers Nash Bridges #1 car, thx to my very good friend Jim at JS Restorations and his wealth of knowledge, he suggested a bad parking light bulb. Yep, he was correct yet again, thx Jimmy.

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/07/21 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr T2U
i had the same problem when i first built my 72 Roadrunner.
it was a bad ground with the front turn signal housing.

Bingo. That was the problem. Thank you
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/12/21 02:35 AM

Mine does same thing,,, BUT only At times.

Right lamp in the dash is on but dim. head lights or just park lights on. makes no difference if I flip the turn signal to either side. No changes.

left turn signal works fine. when flip to right side the front and rear lights work as normal. But the right turn signal lamp in the dash stays illuminated . It does not blink when flipped to right side, yet the outside light flashes normal

Ive changed all 4 bulbs both front and rear both sides of the car, Twice. with no change .

issue on mine is the issue comes and goes

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/12/21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970

Right lamp in the dash is on but dim. head lights or just park lights on. makes no difference if I flip the turn signal to either side. No changes.

left turn signal works fine. when flip to right side the front and rear lights work as normal. But the right turn signal lamp in the dash stays illuminated . It does not blink when flipped to right side, yet the outside light flashes normal

Ive changed all 4 bulbs both front and rear both sides of the car, Twice. with no change .

I would loosen all the blinker and side marker housings and then retighten them. My problem was a loose front blinker housing not getting a good ground.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/12/21 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
iagree scope
I had similar problems with one driving light turn signal bulb installed wrong on a car I took in trade shruggy
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/12/21 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by 70sixpkrt

I would loosen all the blinker and side marker housings and then retighten them. My problem was a loose front blinker housing not getting a good ground.

Becoming handy with a multimeter will be your friend and allow you to pinpoint what works or doesn’t, without disassembly
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/13/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 70sixpkrt

Did that. as well as loosened and retighten tail light housing AND both quarter ext hsgs .
Loosened and tightened both front park lamp assy and even the top of the grille to body screws.
using alligator clips attached separate grounds to each tail light socket to body

Loosened and tightened the screws that attach the instrument cluster assy to dash frame
retightend dash frame to A pillar bolts

All = no change

like I said, it comes and goes.
Drove it in to work this morning and all worked perfect
Posted By: srt

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/13/21 04:54 AM

I had a similar problem in the 70's
Check the wire bundle running under the body. had a chafe that would hit and make contact, then move and disappear. Took weeks to figure out. Check anyplace thare is a clip holing the bundle and where it goes through the pan and also at the connector at dash steering column support.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/13/21 10:49 AM

Could be a ground not clean enough or tight enough, worn insulation making contact with the wire and metal somewhere, could also be a broken wire making contact on and off somewhere. We had that issue with our cable coming into the house. I know it's not a car, but same concept. It was a broken wire and when it was windy or a squirrel ran across, it would move it enough to lose connection.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/13/21 04:46 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of low blinker fluid. whistling
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 03/14/21 12:03 AM

Normal.

That happens with a bulb or socket issue, a bad wire can do it too.

I first ran into that when I was 16.

Pulled the bulb and the filament looked perfect.

Tested the bulb for continuity and it failed.

Replaced it and all was well.

I have also found in the last few years that some brand new bulbs fail the continuity test.

So even if it looks good, test it if there is an issue.
Posted By: ct440rod

Re: Blinker light goes on when lights go on - 04/24/21 05:58 PM

Sounds like a ground problem to me
© 2024 Moparts Forums