Moparts

ABC Dash pads same as Year One?

Posted By: A39Coronet

ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/05/21 10:42 PM

I'll preface this with I posted in another forum but didn't receive any responses just yet, I believe this board may have slightly more activity:

I decided to go through ABC Mopars for my dash after hearing all the positive reviews. When I opened the box, raised letters in the vin tag area read "YEAR ONE". Considering the times we live in and how production on most things in this hobby are being limited, anyone know if ABC units are normally the same products from Year One, or was this a fill in because of inventory issues?
Posted By: antonellomopar

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/05/21 10:59 PM

I have just ordered the dash pad for my 71 Challenger from Year One. Return adress for the core was AL Knoch....
It seems to me that there are two suppliers, Knocjh and the guys in Texas...
Posted By: topside

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/05/21 11:08 PM

Al Knoch is pretty bigtime on Chevy interior stuff, and had a good reputation last I heard.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/05/21 11:36 PM

I assume you are talking about ABC Moparts out of Kingman, AZ? Bob Baker is the owner and he has all his pads made himself, maybe he sells to Year One also, but he is the manufacturer.

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/06/21 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I assume you are talking about ABC Moparts out of Kingman, AZ? Bob Baker is the owner and he has all his pads made himself, maybe he sells to Year One also, but he is the manufacturer.

Yes, ABC Moparts. I was under the impression his products were a superior choice, independent product line, vs what you'd get from a "big box" vendor like Year One. I read multiple negative reviews from the units from Year One, so I want to get my story straight as to what I received. I left him a voicemail so I'm awaiting his reply.

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/06/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by antonellomopar
I have just ordered the dash pad for my 71 Challenger from Year One. Return adress for the core was AL Knoch....
It seems to me that there are two suppliers, Knocjh and the guys in Texas...

Did Year One give you a pre paid return shipping label or were you on your own?
Posted By: mccannix

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/06/21 02:44 PM

More importantly ..how does the pad look.....
Some old timers here may remember that 20+ years ago, Year One offered 71-74 style E-body pads that had a steel core and were superior to any pad Ultimate Rides or whatever flavor of the month name they go by, had or have ever done.
Year One was embossed in the vin tag area.
The grain, fit and finish was as close to original I have ever seen.
The one time run lasted only about a year.
Perhaps ABC teamed up with Year One who resurrected their old tooling for another run.
Posted By: hulmule

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/06/21 02:58 PM

Following this cause want to sell my son's non A/C pad and buy a new A/C and 3 speaker so we can do a nicer job with vintage air. So ABC is the name? WebPage number ?? Would like to get 2 new pop rivets so i can change tag. Who sells those ? thanks PM please cause i forget what forums i posted lol Hell to get old...
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/06/21 04:06 PM

Pretty sure Bob is supplying Y1 with pads.
abcmoparts.com
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/06/21 05:31 PM

Terry-On the Year 1 pads you are referring to,I had always heard that who ever made up the ones back then had bought up and used the remaining vinyl from the original manufacture.I saw one a few years ago and they were almost dead one.Easy way to tell what you had,was like you said,the Year 1 logo in the vin tag indent
Posted By: mccannix

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/06/21 07:00 PM

Jim...I saw one of the old Year One pads a few years ago at Carlisle.
A vendor had it set up on his truck cap...said it had been sold, and I asked if I could just take a look at it.
It was one of their pads with the script and again, looked as good as an original.
I wouldn't doubt as you say, that they bought up some old material
Posted By: Moparite

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/07/21 05:38 PM

How about considering just dashes?
[url=http://www.justdashes.com/services/mopar/][/url]

Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/07/21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
How about considering just dashes?
[url=http://www.justdashes.com/services/mopar/][/url]

Any idea what the cost is? How does it look compared to others?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/07/21 09:50 PM

Twice the price with Just Dashes and 50 less quality and or accuracy from my experiences and observations.....

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/08/21 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

Twice the price with Just Dashes and 50 less quality and or accuracy from my experiences and observations.....

Ouch😵
Posted By: dixie2bird

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/10/21 10:16 PM

I went through ABCMoparts to get my 72 Cuda dash redone. I sent him my core and as far as I know, he sent me back mine restored. It took awhile, but I am very pleased with the results. He was easy to communicate with and did a phenomenal job packing it. It cost a little over $800 + the cost for me to ship my core to him.

Attached picture 20210128_191725.jpg
Attached picture 20210128_191929.jpg
Posted By: sbcjd

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/12/21 05:51 PM

I purchased two of those Year One pads back in 1993 for my 1970 Barracuda. They have the Year one name where the VIN tag is attached. From what I remember Year One advertised them as have the original Vinyl and manufactured by the original Chrysler vendor. They are still sitting in my garage and I will never use them.

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/12/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sbcjd
I purchased two of those Year One pads back in 1993 for my 1970 Barracuda. They have the Year one name where the VIN tag is attached. From what I remember Year One advertised them as have the original Vinyl and manufactured by the original Chrysler vendor. They are still sitting in my garage and I will never use them.

Sound like the information you found in this post that you should advertise them for sale in the forums here, you have a good chance of making some good money! wave
Posted By: sbcjd

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/12/21 06:16 PM

Yes, you are probably correct. I am an old man now and would have to take pictures then have to get the boxes to Fed Ex or UPS. I a not sure I can do that any more.

I was interested in the post because I wondered if anyone still remembered what Year One offered back then.

Thank you for your encouragement I may go in the garage when the weather is better and take some pictures.

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/13/21 01:20 AM

Word of advice, if you sell it just take it to a UPS store and let them pack it, it is costly but you can also pass that on to the buyer as it is the best way to insure his part gets there in good shape. I recently sold a steel truck grille to someone and packaged it myself, it came to the buyer in poor shape. I then sold an aluminum truck grille to a buyer and he told me he would pay extra to have the UPS Store pack it as they are held responsible for it then! It arrived to the buyer in perfect shape... work
Posted By: Moparite

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/13/21 04:06 PM

Doesn't hurt to wright "fragile or handle with care" on it either. Years ago i ordered patch panels and received them with a big foot print on them bent. Thanks to UPS!
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/13/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
Doesn't hurt to wright "fragile or handle with care" on it either. Years ago i ordered patch panels and received them with a big foot print on them bent. Thanks to UPS!
That would be a good idea if UPS gave a crap but they don`t. I was told you need to pack your stuff to withstand rough handling as they don`t have a fragile package handling system. The problem I have is when you order something, you usually have no control over how that item will be packed resulting in me having to order a new alternator 3 times before I received one undamaged..

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/14/21 12:05 AM

I was told NOT to write that on packages as they would single them out for destruction... hammer

Re: ABC Dash pads same as Year One? - 02/14/21 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by sbcjd
Yes, you are probably correct. I am an old man now and would have to take pictures then have to get the boxes to Fed Ex or UPS. I a not sure I can do that any more.

I was interested in the post because I wondered if anyone still remembered what Year One offered back then.

Thank you for your encouragement I may go in the garage when the weather is better and take some pictures.

If they’re in great shape & were made to a high standard, I’m sure you can sell them locally to some Mopar guy(s). That way, you won’t have to fuss with shipping.
© 2024 Moparts Forums