Moparts

8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals

Posted By: hulmule

8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/07/21 05:32 PM

Going thru the rear end on son's 72 Cuda 8 3/4. being the car sat for 25 years figured were this far dont be cheap. Want to replace the bearings and seals before i install axles into the housings. Center section was just rebuilt. Please been a while since i've worked on one. would appeciate any tip/ tricks to make my life easy. So questions
Where to buy bearings and seal? - Looked at rock auto # 10047 ? correct?
Removing old? -friend says he uses a whizzer wheel and cuts off old ones. ?
Installing new ones?
End play? How much? .060?
thanks for any input.
Drop me a line if want thx par12730@sbcglobal.net
Phil

Re: 8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/08/21 03:17 AM

WOW, 70 views and no one has touch an 8 3/4 rear end. Ok.... Figured their would be some cool tips.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/08/21 05:22 AM

How much money do you want to spend?
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: 8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/08/21 02:21 PM

All you need to know is in the FSM, absolutely necessary on our old cars.

Joe

PS I think we got our rear wheel bearing stuff from NAPA
Posted By: GY3

Re: 8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/08/21 03:01 PM

Dr. Diff is a great resource for rearend parts. Rock Auto has burned me too many times. mad

The OE wheel bearings seldom wear out unless they have been exposed to moisture or not lubed.

As far as adjustment, I always have done it by feel. If you've done it a few times you know when it "feels right". Sorry, can't help with exact end play numbers.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/08/21 06:50 PM

the FSM tells the end play and how to adjust for it.
the numbers [as i recall] are around .008-.012.
and as has already been stated, once you do a couple, you do indeed get a "feeling" when it is correct.
when adjusting, make sure you smack the driver's side axle to ensure it's bottomed in it's bearing bore.
beer

Re: 8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/08/21 10:11 PM

Ok thanks. I'll check them and see how they feel. Would like to change the tube seals i guess. So will see if i can find. Will grease the bearings and put back together. thanks all.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: 8 3/4 wheel bearings and seals - 01/14/21 02:23 PM

I'd clean the bearings and keep them if they look good, no pitting or scoring. The outer seals keep water out, so use your judgement if you want to go through changing them, which I'm sure requires destroying the bearings. The inner seals get damaged sliding the axle shaft against them. Bolt a brake drum onto the shaft backwards to act as a handle, and counter balance, so you don't cut the seal sliding the shaft in.
© 2024 Moparts Forums