Moparts

Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration

Posted By: moparply

Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 03:17 AM

There was the restoration of an original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 cars on TV recently. The car had a lot of sheetmetal replaced, both front fenders, both quarter panels, deck lid, hood, roof, etc. They used all reproduction metal except for possibly the roof. Why would they not use NOS or Original Chrysler metal on this car? It seems like a car like this should only get NOS or Original Chrysler metal. How much will this effect the value and collectibility of this car? They said it was a 500K car?
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 05:41 AM

I don't know, how many times did they say "amd", "sherman" or "year one" in the script, and how many ads for these companies were run on commercial break?

As for value or collector grade, the only people that care are the people who can't afford the hubcaps on it anyway.
Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 12:36 PM

The question is how much NOS or original metal is left available? These are 50 year old cars, it may be nearly impossible to get anything other than reproduction parts in some cases. As long as it's done right, I don't see where it matters.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 02:50 PM

Time is a huge factor. A shop can’t spend the time to source NOS or used, they have to just go to the source (internet) and buy.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 03:14 PM

What show are you referring to? Graveyard Cars? If so, you undoubtedly notice that Worman uses any opportunity he can to plug certain vendors like AMD. And I wouldn't doubt he gets some sort of kickbacks for those plugs. He isn't going to get kickbacks for example if he started boasting about getting NOS quarters for $10,000 each from GLNOS I don't think? Despite his self promotion, I don't think Worman does concours quality restorations. I haven't seen or heard of any cars he's done up for high level judging at shows like MCACN or Carlisle. He does pretty looking cars for entertainment purposes so if you send him your rusty or beat to hell hemi cuda it isn't going to get a top level restoration full of OEM parts. And from what I can see, your car will sit outside in his storage lot behind he shop for a long time until he gets to it!
Now if you are referring to a '71 hemi cuda restored on another show, never mind my comments, though I can't recall any of the other custom or resto realty shows working on any high level Mopars?
Posted By: moparply

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340
What show are you referring to? Graveyard Cars? If so, you undoubtedly notice that Worman uses any opportunity he can to plug certain vendors like AMD. And I wouldn't doubt he gets some sort of kickbacks for those plugs. He isn't going to get kickbacks for example if he started boasting about getting NOS quarters for $10,000 each from GLNOS I don't think? Despite his self promotion, I don't think Worman does concours quality restorations. I haven't seen or heard of any cars he's done up for high level judging at shows like MCACN or Carlisle. He does pretty looking cars for entertainment purposes so if you send him your rusty or beat to hell hemi cuda it isn't going to get a top level restoration full of OEM parts. And from what I can see, your car will sit outside in his storage lot behind he shop for a long time until he gets to it!
Now if you are referring to a '71 hemi cuda restored on another show, never mind my comments, though I can't recall any of the other custom or resto realty shows working on any high level Mopars?

Yes, that is the car. The guy waited 20 years for the restoration, he had plenty of time to find the parts. I just don’t understand why a car like this is not being restored with Real NOS Chrysler parts? Especially the sheetmetal, the NOS and original Chrysler sheetmetal is still out there. Not all NOS sheetmetal is priced that high. The reproduction metal is not the same as the original.
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 06:23 PM

.........What show are you referring to? Graveyard Cars? If so, you undoubtedly notice that Worman uses any opportunity he can to plug certain vendors like AMD. And I wouldn't doubt he gets some sort of kickbacks for those plugs. He isn't going to get kickbacks for example if he started boasting about getting NOS quarters for $10,000 each from GLNOS I don't think? .......

Everything on the show is subsidized.The AMD parts,the garage doors, the media blaster ect. The editor of the show never gives up the opportunity to do a quick camera pan of a particular manufacturers logo.But if Coca Cola isn't paying Worman he blurs out their logo is his break room.

........ Despite his self promotion, I don't think Worman does concours quality restorations

100 percent correct!! I have a friend who visited the shop 2 years ago and Worman said he does "driver quality " restorations. Mark told him he's not gonna hunt down NOS parts for driver type restos. I pointed out here years ago just what you said: None of his cars have ever been OE judged.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 07:36 PM

what are the specifics of this '71 hemi'cuda scope got pics?
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/17/20 07:45 PM

Graveyard Carz was working on one that was burnt to a crisp in a garage fire. I don't recall seeing that one done yet?

Attached picture Graveyard Carz hemi cuda.JPG
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/18/20 02:17 AM

Yes, most of the NOS sheetmetal is available. Some of it at outrageous prices. But, if I was building a Hemi car, nothing from AMD would be on it.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/18/20 03:53 AM

What is wrong with amd metal ? before you jump all over me , i know some brands are thin junk. maybe some of amd's stuff is too. not all panels are exact even from amd. but as long as the weights and fit are good , where is the real issue? if its quality metal, who can tell ? amd is around .047" nos is .044" if you have a rusty car that is mainly surface rusted and pitted , the metal is thin or can have thin spots from rust. in my opinion, if you can put the correct spot welds back and the fit is good what's the big deal ..

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/18/20 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by ek3
What is wrong with amd metal ? before you jump all over me , i know some brands are thin junk. maybe some of amd's stuff is too. not all panels are exact even from amd. but as long as the weights and fit are good , where is the real issue? if its quality metal, who can tell ? amd is around .047" nos is .044" if you have a rusty car that is mainly surface rusted and pitted , the metal is thin or can have thin spots from rust. in my opinion, if you can put the correct spot welds back and the fit is good what's the big deal ..

For me: It’s an American muscle car. Personally, I want original or NOS parts on it. Not Taiwan R.O.C.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/18/20 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21
Originally Posted by ek3

For me: It’s an American muscle car. Personally, I want original or NOS parts on it. Not Taiwan R.O.C.
i understand as a matter of opinion. i am def. pro American!! where is the problem with quality ? if you think of how many mopars are rusty, they must not have had much better metal then...?

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/18/20 06:52 AM

AMD is the best aftermarket sheetmetal for Mopars. In many cases, I’m sure it’s just fine. Personally, I’d rather see the best parts on high-end cars.
Posted By: sixbbl 69

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/18/20 11:24 PM

i would think with all the nos parts that you say is everywhere you would tell everyone where it is at.

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/19/20 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by sixbbl 69
i would think with all the nos parts that you say is everywhere you would tell everyone where it is at.

Here’s a fun website for you: https://blackburninvestments.com
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/19/20 05:20 AM

The way I see it is it does not matter what steel is used, it is a hemi, it is a cuda, it is a good color, and where are you ever going to find one to buy? It will bring $$$ no matter what.

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/19/20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
The way I see it is it does not matter what steel is used, it is a hemi, it is a cuda, it is a good color, and where are you ever going to find one to buy? It will bring $$$ no matter what.

I respect that. For me personally, I want an original body car or a well-documented restoration with what parts were used. I would pay a premium for an original or for a correctly restored car.
Posted By: larry4406

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/19/20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21
Originally Posted by sixbbl 69

Here’s a fun website for you: https://blackburninvestments.com

Nice how they label '72-74 Cuda quarters as Hemi Cuda ones as if the side marker light won't give it away..
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/19/20 03:03 PM

https://blackburninvestments.comhttps://blackburninvestments.com

70-71 hemi' cuda lower valance..... I guess 71's don't have parking lights....How much for a hemi 'cuda ash tray?
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/19/20 04:40 PM

lol.

This seems like an appropriate time to plug my business and would like to remind everyone that yes, I do stock factory correct tire air for tires, (deposit required for the container,. Deposit is $500 and the air is $250 per tire), I also stock NOS air for $1000.00 per tire. Deposit on container remains the same price.

I am currently back-ordered on washers for air cleaner lids, but will pick some up next time I get lumber. Hemi versions are $50 each. Wing nut sold seperately.

Magic beans also available, please inquire for more info.

Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/22/20 09:15 PM

He'll put whatever part the owner wants him to or supplies him with if its a quality part.
of course Mark gets a deal from AMD but he is not going to turn down using NOS or nice original parts.
He also knows what massaging some of the new sheetmetal needs and I've known him to be very happy sometimes to use original sheetmetal.
But of course if he is using AMD he's going to plug them.

Believe this or not, but i know it to be true. He plugs businesses that he gets no more then a regular shop discount from if its a good product, he feels that he is helping out the people that dont know where to source certain parts
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/23/20 01:51 AM

When it's prepped and painted...do you think anyone can tell the difference between a NOS fender that was sitting in someone's shed for 50yrs vs a new AMD piece? I don't. That mentality makes projects like that exponentially more expensive, for no reason, other than to get a neat conversation point. It's different if it has a part number or date code, but a body piece that's readily available, no way.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Original 1971 Hemicuda Automatic 1 of 48 Restoration - 12/23/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by ek3

AMD is in no way shape or form like original metal. Inside stuff like floors cowls trunk floor is ok but the outside stuff will never have the same fit or crisp lines. Original panels where stamped with 200 ton presses on dies that took YEARS to get precise. For that car I will search for a rust free complete car to use it’s pieces. A 50 grand car for a 500 grand car all day long. It’s a 71 HEMI car 1 of 48.
Did anyone see the complete AMD 71 Cuda at Carlyle a few years back? What an abortion, all the door-fender-hood-trunk edges ROLLED to the gaps, just like the new fad of skim coating, lousy body work! The panel HAS to be flat to the edge not rolled over.
© 2024 Moparts Forums