Moparts

Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe

Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/24/20 02:41 AM

I need to order a new Black bumblebee stripe and wondering how good are the Phoenix Graphics stripes for a 70 Charger.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/24/20 05:29 PM

I've used a few of their body strip decals, quality was good, no issues....but what you need to clarify with them sometimes is the stripe sheen/finish, if it's not mentioned before ordering, it will either hold up your order, or you get what they send ...

Mike

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/24/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
I've used a few of their body strip decals, quality was good, no issues....but what you need to clarify with them sometimes is the stripe sheen/finish, if it's not mentioned before ordering, it will either hold up your order, or you get what they send ...

Mike

For a bumblebee stripe, would it be gloss black?

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/24/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 70sixpkRT

Mike

Most all the black stripes offered over the last few decades from vendors are incorrect in sheen/finish, original black stripes when new had a very slight texture to the surface and a "dull" matte sheen which wore/faded as they aged in the weather/UV, only one company (Motor City Originals) back in the day offered "original" style decals in the correct textured black finish, the mat'l is still available from 3M, if OEM is your choice perhaps you can have Phoenix, or another stripevendor acquire it and cut a decal from it, the correct material is currently marketed under the 3M trade name Di-Noc

Mike

Attached picture stripesample.JPG

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/24/20 10:24 PM

Thank you up
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 12:59 PM

Mike

Most all the black stripes offered over the last few decades from vendors are incorrect in sheen/finish, original black stripes when new had a very slight texture to the surface and a "dull" matte sheen which wore/faded as they aged in the weather/UV, only one company (Motor City Originals) back in the day offered "original" style decals in the correct textured black finish, the mat'l is still available from 3M, if OEM is your choice perhaps you can have Phoenix, or another stripevendor acquire it and cut a decal from it, the correct material is currently marketed under the 3M trade name Di-Noc

Mike

Mike - True statements and Di-noc is still made today, unfortunately I don’t believe the original texture is offered. Di-noc is a generic name for a vinyl wrap, offered in many textures and patterns. I did an exhaustive search for this when making my AAR stripes, those originally had a pattern best described as an orange peel. Unsure if the material was any different for other models using a low sheen black. Seems like the base material would have been similar. I wasn’t able to find a match offered or a leftover roll for sale. The common belief is that the original material required chemicals that are no longer considered acceptable for use today and therefor not offered in its original form.

If the OP desires, and has a material they feel is closer in texture/sheen, I’m almost certain PHX Graphics would work with him to cut the material, though I’d recommend coordinating prior to purchasing material.

Best of luck finding what’s correct, it can be a lesson in frustration.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 02:28 PM

Just as an aside, Di-Noc Chemical Arts was a local Cleveland company back in the 50s and 60s.
I lived just a 1/2 mile from them in the Collinwood area of Cleveland.

I don't know what they produced there, but the plant exuded a pungent odor
that we all called "banana oil".

They may have been involved in the production of appliques???

Joe

P.S. After looking them up, it seems as 3M either bought them or use their name.

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by AAR#2

Mike

Mike

Mike - True statements and Di-noc is still made today, unfortunately I don’t believe the original texture is offered. Di-noc is a generic name for a vinyl wrap, offered in many textures and patterns. I did an exhaustive search for this when making my AAR stripes, those originally had a pattern best described as an orange peel. Unsure if the material was any different for other models using a low sheen black. Seems like the base material would have been similar. I wasn’t able to find a match offered or a leftover roll for sale. The common belief is that the original material required chemicals that are no longer considered acceptable for use today and therefor not offered in its original form.

If the OP desires, and has a material they feel is closer in texture/sheen, I’m almost certain PHX Graphics would work with him to cut the material, though I’d recommend coordinating prior to purchasing material.

Best of luck finding what’s correct, it can be a lesson in frustration.

The Di-Noc line has been expanded greatly the last 10 years or so covering wraps, carbon fiber wraps and adhesive sheeting, along with an architectural line of wraps and adhesive sheeting, granted you won't match the "orange peel" (good call!) texture of OEM stripes, but the Di-Noc lines have some very interesting pattern/finishes that can be applied to our automotive applications resulting in a much more OEM complimentary look....I recently purchased some 3M Di-Noc rolls in their Architectural line for a customer's project, very impressive mat'l.....I'm currently looking at making a set of T/A stripes in their "pebble" textured mat'l to see how close they match OEM

Mike
Posted By: steve70

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 06:04 PM

Here are a couple pictures of the texture on an original T/A's stripes

Attached picture Rear Black Out (4)-texture.jpg
Attached picture Original Stripes (28)-texture.jpg

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 06:50 PM

Wow. Thanks for the info. I did not know it was somewhat of a textured pattern. My car came original with the Longitudinal Stripe but I think it would be too much yellow.

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 07:35 PM

Here’s an example from my original AAR stripe, basically the same as the T/A stripe. The example posted above appears just a little more course but within what I’d call lot variations

Attached picture 9B3557B5-72DA-440C-8BF2-FFB14ED03CCC.jpeg

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 07:55 PM

Also worth mentioning is that unless you were to be looking for the texture, as in up on top of it, and have the correct lighting/reflecting, you would never notice it. This is why so many folks are so surprised that there is a texture at all.
Posted By: topside

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/25/20 10:34 PM

FWIW there's a set of Cuda hockey stripes on FB from Phoenix Graphix, and the photos show the texture.

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/26/20 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by topside
FWIW there's a set of Cuda hockey stripes on FB from Phoenix Graphix, and the photos show the texture.

Screen image or link???

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/26/20 02:14 AM

On "Classic Mopars BUY.SELL.TRADE"

Attached picture Stripe texture.jpg

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/26/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by topside
On "Classic Mopars BUY.SELL.TRADE"

Interesting....but it appears on my screen that the "texture" goes beyond the actual decal, I'm assuming that's the decal face binder that's textured not the decal?....

Mike

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/26/20 04:01 AM

Don’t be fooled, what you believe is decal texture is actually the transfer film over the top, once removed you will not have what you think.

Re: Phoenix Graphics Bumblebee Stripe - 11/26/20 04:50 PM

That does appear to be the case, dang it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums