Moparts

How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug?

Posted By: Montclaire

How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/21/20 11:25 AM

I had seen a post somewhere on this and can't find it now. I have a few spare overflow jugs that I have accumulated over the years and wanted to clean them up a bit before listing them for sale. I've seen some that practically look brand new. Any suggestions?
Posted By: burdar

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/21/20 02:14 PM

I thought someone(maybe Scott Smith) posted about boiling the plastic to bring back some of the white look.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/21/20 03:02 PM

i have vapor blasted jugs to bring them back a bit but not a perfect fix. Outside cleans up and parts of the inside that the blast nozzle will reach. Dead plastic is dead plastic though.
Posted By: steve70

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/21/20 03:15 PM

I've read that you can soak it in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of the yellowing but I never tried it.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/21/20 03:53 PM

I haven`t tried it yet but I read Salon Care 40 Volume Cream works when applied on aged white plastic and if you put out in the sun for a few days. I will see in I can find a old overflow jug and try it. They said to wear gloves. I think I tried 3% hydrogen peroxide on a washer jug some years ago with minimal success.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/21/20 04:16 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86F2M7M-dgA
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/21/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

I saw that. What country do you think he’s in? One of the ‘stans it looks like. I liked the part where fills the tank with bleach and forgets to cap the spout. Lol Always wear your black slacks when scrubbing overflow tanks with bleach! I haven’t seen powdered bleach packs since college. Worth a shot I suppose.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/28/20 11:45 PM

This version seems to work really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCN7VHMtfQ
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/29/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
This version seems to work really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqCN7VHMtfQ

What is the chemicas used all I saw was some formula
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/29/20 01:44 PM

First time I've heard of Sulfamic acid???
Where to get and how dangerous to handle?

Joe

PS, I noticed he sent it down the drain, how would your local health officials feel about that??

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/29/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by jlatessa
First time I've heard of Sulfamic acid???
Where to get and how dangerous to handle?

Joe

PS, I noticed he sent it down the drain, how would your local health officials feel about that??

A new phrase out, plausible deniability but it is drain cleaner
Posted By: BDW

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/29/20 04:07 PM

Interesting, if you read the comments lot of people claiming it’s a fake.
Posted pics of a new tank for the “after” shots.

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/29/20 11:40 PM

Yep where did the tape go that he put on the tubes?
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/30/20 08:04 PM

Don't know if fake or not, I didn't read all the comments. It looks too good to be true though. You can get the sulfamic on amazon, of course. I wonder if muriatic acid would work as well. What about citric acid? At least that is pretty safe and is supposed to be a good whitener. Maybe the OP will give something a try and let us know.

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/31/20 01:42 PM

I’ll try it out on an old piece this weekend
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: How to clean and whiten a used overflow jug? - 10/31/20 02:26 PM

The video mentions an “activator” shaken not stirred (sorry, I just heard Sean Connery past) internally prior to submersion, however his post lists only 3 items needed;
1. H₃NSO₃ - Sulphamic Acid Mixture;
2. Sonax Ultra Cleaner;
3. Dishwasher salt;

I’m unsure if he used the Sonax to remove the paint daub at the start or if this is being used as the activator. The liquid poured into the tank is clear and I suspect just a small amount of the acid to wet out all surfaces, or to act as a pre-clean.

One final thing to consider, while his results appear outstanding, remember this is a 5 year old tank and I suspect the staining may be more related to coolant staining on the surface than outgassing of a 50 year old tank.

So the real question is who is going to step up and try this, complete with photos so we can dispel the myth or prove it’s worth?
© 2024 Moparts Forums