Moparts

How to preserve a polyglass tire?

Posted By: Montclaire

How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/20/20 04:24 PM

Hello, I just bought a 1974 Barracuda with what appears to be the factory polyglass spare in the trunk. It’s showing it’s age a bit and I was wondering what the preferred method would be to preserve it? I don’t know if there are any issues with using a product like modern tire dressing. My second thought was to just wipe it down with armor all. Obviously it’s not going to be used on the road again. Thanks
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/20/20 04:46 PM

Do NOT use ArmorAll, It contains alcohol, which dries out the rubber. I would recommend several applications over time of 303 Aerospace protectant. Amazon sells it.
Posted By: topside

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/20/20 05:55 PM

Honestly, in all the years that I used Armorall on tires & vinyl, I never experienced any cracking or drying out.
Seems to me any alcohol evaporated quickly.
I still use it in winter on the door seals on the daily driver; keeps the doors from sticking. Those 1996 seals are still mint.
Posted By: 57Fury440

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 04:23 AM

I have used Armorall on the dash pad of the 1972 Barracuda since I bought it new. The pad looks like it did when I got it from the dealer in March of 1972. I also use it on the rubber seals as well with good results.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 10:14 AM

I used Armoral on a dash and destroyed it. My upholstery guy told me to use Vaseline, let it sit them wipe the extra off. Never had a problem since.

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 11:27 AM

I wouldn't have thought about vaseline. The rubber looks pretty dry so that might be worth a shot.
Posted By: FJ6AAR

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Do NOT use ArmorAll, It contains alcohol, which dries out the rubber. I would recommend several applications over time of 303 Aerospace protectant. Amazon sells it.

This ^
Posted By: a12rag

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
I used Armoral on a dash and destroyed it. My upholstery guy told me to use Vaseline, let it sit them wipe the extra off. Never had a problem since.

X2 - Had same advise from old upholstery guy too . . . used this on my "dried" out leather seats in 300Hurst . . . took a long time, but they came back really well ! . . . I have always sprayed my door seals with silicone spray . . . soaks in and keeps them supple for sure . . maybe that might help on the tire ??
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 05:41 PM

Griots Garage Rubber Cleaner followed by Aerospace 303 protectant. This is a date coded tire from 1970.

Attached picture IMG_6816.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 06:26 PM

back in the day [1968 to around 1980ish] we used lemon pledge. it had to be the lemon stuff, although i don't remember just why.
i haven't touched the rubber or interior material since it was put in storage, but today it's still soft and no cracks.
i don't know if i will continue the lemon pledge or not.
beer

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 08:28 PM

Does the 303 form any kind of a barrier? That would be my only reason to not try it. This thing is dry as a bone and may need several applications.
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 10:27 PM

The key is cleaning up the old rubber first before applying a protectant. That's why I recommended the Griots rubber cleaner
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: How to preserve a polyglass tire? - 10/21/20 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Montclaire
Does the 303 form any kind of a barrier? That would be my only reason to not try it. This thing is dry as a bone and may need several applications.

No....it’s not a wax. 303 Aerospace is a good product,and will not produce a glossy shine...which you DONT want.
© 2024 Moparts Forums