Moparts

70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc

Posted By: hemienvy

70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/17/20 11:04 PM

Same question as many have for repro parts:

Are there any repro sets that actually fit ?
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: 70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/18/20 01:39 AM

not if you want quality. no contours or 15 % angles
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/18/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by hemienvy
Same question as many have for repro parts:

Are there any repro sets that actually fit ?

If you can find an old discontinued Metro set, they were excellent reproductions, Mike Ross at BEAParts may still have some correct fitting repro corners/outer sections available you'll have to contact him personally to inquire, he may also have some originals pcs/sets?, in regards to some of the current offerings on the market they have a fatal flaw with the corners/outer sections being flared to accept to top/lower strips, however the upper/lower strips are usable.... I've seen a NEW offering on Ebay lately that appear correct in finish.... might want to scope them out?

Mike

Attached picture cudacornerss.JPG
Attached picture cudacorners.JPG
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/18/20 12:00 PM

I doubt Mike has any. He was looking for a set the other day. I had some repop straight pieces at one time. You could at least live with those. Some of the repop ends were terrible. Maybe this new offering is better. Original ones are worth their weight in gold. I’ve seen sets sell quickly for $400 plus.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/18/20 12:25 PM

I used a set of the former metro produced versions. They fit nice. But were a little softer in material then oem. So tended to buldge once pushed over the mounting clip
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/18/20 12:30 PM

I've found with both the butt trim and the belt moldings on Cudas that the mounting clips make all the difference. Get the ones from Tom at R/T. The only repros that fit right.
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: 70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/18/20 04:12 PM

wrong , none of the repro's are correct as seen in the posts above if you notice the top and bottom are absolutely straight and there actually a small degree angle in the center of both pieces approximately 5 % and a small bend on each end of the "c's". and i also sell the repro clips that are actually correct and do fit.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 70-71 Cuda rear panel trim, 4-pc - 10/18/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Little Detroit
wrong , none of the repro's are correct as seen in the posts above if you notice the top and bottom are absolutely straight and there actually a small degree angle in the center of both pieces approximately 5 % and a small bend on each end of the "c's". and i also sell the repro clips that are actually correct and do fit.

The Metro sets I've purchased before they went disco did have the slight V formation for the top and bottom pcs, I'll agree with you on the last few current offerings, the upper and lower pcs are just straight runs...and yes the proper clips make the difference in installation to avoid swells in the moldings, esp the uppers/lowers, I've used NOS clips in the past, as the repro clips offered were too wide/thick to properly fit the profile...I would hope this has been somewhat rectified with the newest offerings coming out of Classic Industries and other vendors....I know the last set I got from YearOne about 2 years ago was the flared end "C" sections... useless IMO

Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums