Moparts

1969 Dart switch and radio restoration

Posted By: moparmatt0

1969 Dart switch and radio restoration - 10/13/20 11:05 AM

I would like to have the headlamp and wiper and convertable top switches and the radio restored for my 69 gts who do you recommend thanks for any help Matt.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: 1969 Dart switch and radio restoration - 10/13/20 11:19 AM

I dont have a recommendation, but for the headlight and wiper, I would hunt for NOS, they are around. Convertible top, I got lucky and found one on ebay NOS, but they are tougher to find.
For the radio I was able to use the several old radios I had to create one good looking functional one, that I bench tested prior to install.
Posted By: 76orangewagon

Re: 1969 Dart switch and radio restoration - 10/13/20 12:24 PM

JIm at JS Restorations. Outstanding work !!!!!
Posted By: burdar

Re: 1969 Dart switch and radio restoration - 10/13/20 12:37 PM

Jim restored the switches for my 68 Dart but he doesn't restore those headlight switches. I doubt he restores radios either. For the headlight switch, I think I bought one from a local parts store. I can't speak for its quality since my car isn't on the road yet.

Once your convertible top switch is restored, look into getting a relay kit from member "crackedback". His kit will take the load off of the factory switch.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: 1969 Dart switch and radio restoration - 10/13/20 07:08 PM

I looked into that relay kit for the top switch, but from what I recall the extra wiring is visible in the engine compartment. I figured for the number of times I am going to operate this top, this switch should last for a while. I try not to bump the switch repeatedly when operating the top, just one click for up and one click for down. To try and save service life.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 1969 Dart switch and radio restoration - 10/13/20 08:13 PM

I looked into that relay kit for the top switch, but from what I recall the extra wiring is visible in the engine compartment. I figured for the number of times I am going to operate this top, this switch should last for a while. I try not to bump the switch repeatedly when operating the top, just one click for up and one click for down. To try and save service life.

Mine is hooked up to a power distribution block under the battery tray. It wouldn't be hard to completely hide the wires and route them into the passengers compartment. You could probably power them from a + port already on the inside if you wanted to. I mounted my relays next to the pump. You might be able to fit the relays behind the DS kick panel.
Posted By: RealWing

Re: 1969 Dart switch and radio restoration - 10/14/20 01:50 AM

Classic Car Radio Service restored my original Superbird radio.
Jim at JS Restorations is one of the best to do switches. Has done several for my projects.

Both recommended.
Jim

Attached picture 8C9A1DE1-4E0B-4DF3-BAD6-0158EC4750F2_1024x768.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums