Moparts

A12 440 paint job

Posted By: BLACKHEMIRR

A12 440 paint job - 10/09/20 09:31 PM

I’m trying to determine if my 69 1/2 intake has it’s original paint. Was the coil mounting bracket installed on those engines when they were painted, or were they installed later on? Thanks in advance
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/10/20 02:56 AM

I am NOT claiming that these are the last words. But I could not find one photo in my archive that showed the coil bracket as being anything but plated. Now if you are talking about the mounting bracket that the coil bracket is bolted to, that appears to be engine color. Unfortunately all of my photos are *.bmp and I have no idea how to attach them. Sorry.

Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/10/20 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKHEMIRR
I’m trying to determine if my 69 1/2 intake has it’s original paint. Was the coil mounting bracket installed on those engines when they were painted, or were they installed later on? Thanks in advance

You can decide, color pics are a current F.Badelson restored A12 engine, the black&white photo I resized from an original 1969 roadtest magazine article 1969 A12 Superbee.... coil mounting bracket appears black

Mike

Attached picture a12.JPG
Attached picture a12a.JPG
Attached picture a12aa.JPG

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/10/20 07:07 AM

Thanks for the help. This intake (and carbs) was supposed to have been removed in the very early 70’s, and I’ve had them for a long time. The paint is in great condition. There’s a heavy run going under the back end and there’s no paint between the carbs, but it was definitely painted with no coil bracket on it. I’m hoping to be able to use the paint as a color reference, and it looks like there’s at least a chance it’s original according to the black & white photo.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/14/20 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

You can decide, color pics are a current F.Badelson restored A12 engine, the black&white photo I resized from an original 1969 roadtest magazine article 1969 A12 Superbee.... coil mounting bracket appears black

Mike

In the black and pic the coil bracket is silver not black. The original coil bracket on my 68 Coronet is the same color like in the B&W photo.

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/14/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by GMP440

Mike

In the black and pic the coil bracket is silver not black. The original coil bracket on my 68 Coronet is the same color like in the B&W photo.

Yes agreed, THE "primary" coil "bracket" is silver cad, however, THE 6 BBL. "BRACKET" that is unique to ONLY 6 bbl induction cars that "mounts" the coil and primary coil bracket in the above photos is either orange or black, depending on the photo...hence the choice to "decide" I mentioned

Mike

Attached picture s-l640.jpg

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/14/20 10:16 PM

I’m sorry if my post was confusing. My intake is completely painted in the area that would have been covered by the coil mount. So if it’s original paint on the intake, the coil mount could not have been installed at the time the intake was painted. The engine In the black and white photo had to have been painted prior to the coil mount being bolted on, so I guess at least some were done that way. Thanks again

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/16/20 12:42 AM

Just another related question, is the '69 bracket the same as '70, the same as '71?

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/16/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Just another related question, is the '69 bracket the same as '70, the same as '71?

R,

As far as I know the 1969 1/2 to 1972 440/6 coil bracket is the same....

Mike

Re: A12 440 paint job - 10/16/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee

R,

As far as I know the 1969 1/2 to 1972 440/6 coil bracket is the same....

Mike

up
© 2024 Moparts Forums