Moparts

Exhaust Manifold Coating

Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Exhaust Manifold Coating - 09/30/20 10:46 PM

What are you guys using to coat your exhaust manifolds so they stay nice looking. I was looking at VHT Satin Clear Fire-Proof paint. What else is out there?
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 09/30/20 11:18 PM

I had my manifolds ceramic coated a cast grey color. Painted them with the engine assembly and let the paint burn off.
Posted By: topside

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 09/30/20 11:20 PM

Should be a few threads on this in the Archives, but:

I've used Eastwood's high-temp stainless paint on manifolds and headers, lasts pretty much forever.
Gotta start with an absolutely clean surface, and bake it, which an engine does quite well.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/01/20 01:13 AM

I blast them then coat with liquid graphite. Looks very much like bare cast iron and touch ups are easy.

https://www.ebay.com/i/182627664612...msclkid=4371e94a76b21844d771b63f5a404714
Posted By: steve70

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/01/20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by FJR doc
I had my manifolds ceramic coated a cast grey color. Painted them with the engine assembly and let the paint burn off.

iagree
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/01/20 12:22 PM

On this one I used cast iron 1500* paint.
I've also used 1500* satin clear on new or blasted manifolds.

Attached picture 20160406_104330.jpg
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/01/20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by topside

I've used Eastwood's high-temp stainless paint on manifolds and headers, lasts pretty much forever.
Gotta start with an absolutely clean surface, and bake it, which an engine does quite well.

I'm glad to hear this, I just used Eastwood on mine.

Attached picture TTi installed.jpg
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/01/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 5wndwcpe
I blast them then coat with liquid graphite. Looks very much like bare cast iron and touch ups are easy.

https://www.ebay.com/i/182627664612...msclkid=4371e94a76b21844d771b63f5a404714

That's exactly what I did. I used the product Slip Plate, a graphite spray lube. I did my exhaust manifolds in February. They still look great. Came out much better than the cast blast.
I bought it at Grainger. However, I read that Napa sells it too.

https://www.grainger.com/product/1WVK7?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-8mdxsWU7AIVATiGCh3djASPEAQYAiABEgIKmPD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI-8mdxsWU7AIVATiGCh3djASPEAQYAiABEgIKmPD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275537!!!g!472123448796!&gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4YUPY8:20500731
Posted By: moparx

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/02/20 04:41 PM

try this ?

https://www.grainger.com/product/1WVK7?

beer
Posted By: topside

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/02/20 05:07 PM

That Slip Plate stuff looks pretty good, and apparently it holds up well.
Not sure how paint can stick to it, but someone here posted a pic that indicated he'd painted over it.
It's also darker than the Eastwood stuff I referred to, and I like that.
Since manifolds quickly got a rusty look, I wonder if there's something like a "week-old" color ?
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/02/20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by topside

Eastwoods here also. Looks great and easy to touch up!!

Attached picture IMG_4042.JPG

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/03/20 02:00 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the replys! They all sound like viable avenues. My only question with the liquid graphite is that, once it dries, does it turn powdery and does it fly around like powdered graphite does?

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/03/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 70HemiGTX
Hey guys, thanks for all the replys! They all sound like viable avenues. My only question with the liquid graphite is that, once it dries, does it turn powdery and does it fly around like powdered graphite does?

No. It does not turn powdering and does not fly off. When slip plate is put on, it's rubbed on and buffed so it works it's way into the pores of the cast iron.

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/03/20 08:26 PM

That's cool. All I could picture was graphite powder floating all over the engine bay after it dried out. Thanks!

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/05/20 04:23 PM

That's cool. All I could picture was graphite powder floating all over the engine bay after it dried out. Thanks!

Here is a pic of the exhaust manifold with Slip Plate. You can see how Slip Plate gets into the pores. There is no issue of graphite powder floating all on the engine bay.
This is done by spraying and letting it dry for about a day. Then, take a soft cloth or shop towel and buff the surface. As you see, there is no powder residue or flaking.

Description: manifold
Attached picture Slip plate manifold..jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/06/20 03:51 PM

that looks very nice.
how long has that been done ?
beer
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/06/20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by GMP440

Here is a pic of the exhaust manifold with Slip Plate. You can see how Slip Plate gets into the pores.
This is done by spraying and letting it dry for about a day. Then, take a soft cloth or shop towel and buff the surface. As you see, there is no powder residue or flaking.

How ofen do you put it on, or is it one and done? Thinking of powder coating as I'd hae to have to keep touching up every few months.

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/06/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
that looks very nice.
how long has that been done ?
beer

Thanks for the compliment. I did the manifolds last February. Have not retouched them since then.

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/06/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by migsBIG

Here is a pic of the exhaust manifold with Slip Plate. You can see how Slip Plate gets into the pores.

How ofen do you put it on, or is it one and done? Thinking of powder coating as I'd hae to have to keep touching up every few months.

I put it on once so far. Have not touched it up yet. If any parts do wear; you can simply spray on the manifold, let dry and buff or spray some on a sponge brush and sponge it on, then buff. It gets into the pores much better than paint will, so it will last..

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/06/20 09:09 PM

Link on how to use Slip Plate.

http://streettechmag.com/2015/05/04/how-to-restore-an-exhaust-manifold/#prettyPhoto

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/06/20 09:18 PM

Nice Article on Slip Plate. I think that may be the route I will take. I appreciate all the comments and other questions you guys posted. The more info the better informed decision you can make. Thanks guys and keep the questions and comments coming.

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/07/20 12:15 AM

Nice Article on Slip Plate. I think that may be the route I will take. I appreciate all the comments and other questions you guys posted. The more info the better informed decision you can make. Thanks guys and keep the questions and comments coming.

You have some good options; cast blast paint or Slip Plate. Both will give you good results. Using and applying slip plate to the manifolds is just a different way of coating your manifolds.
It's kind of like that "Paint Job on a Budget " thread . The one about using Rustoleum paint to paint a car with. That one took off like wild fire.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/10/20 10:35 PM

I've done the Eastwood stainless hi temp on older 70RR resto (2011) and Slip Plate on 69 Charger resto (2018). Eastwood is showing some aging - discoloration and such. Slip Plate remains perfect and IMO provides slightly darker, more realistic look.
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 10/17/20 04:11 PM

Would the Slip Pate work on headers as well or is it intended more for the cast iron manifolds that are more porous? Anyone tried This?

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 11/01/20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 440_Offroader
Would the Slip Pate work on headers as well or is it intended more for the cast iron manifolds that are more porous? Anyone tried This?

It works well on cast iron because of the pores, etc. Might not stay on the headers because they have a smooth surface. I would give it a try. See how it works and let us know.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 11/02/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 440_Offroader

It works well on cast iron because of the pores, etc. Might not stay on the headers because they have a smooth surface. I would give it a try. See how it works and let us know.

My take as well.
Posted By: vinnyd76

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 08/27/22 01:28 AM

Researching all options... anyone have experience with powder coating exhaust manifolds?
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 08/27/22 12:42 PM

Ive had them done for 2 customers and no complaints. The shop I use has a light and dark cast color in high heat powder coat I like the light one myself.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 08/30/22 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by 69hemibeep
Ive had them done for 2 customers and no complaints. The shop I use has a light and dark cast color in high heat powder coat I like the light one myself.
what temp is the powder coat good too?
We used to get ceramic coated here within driving distance but the closed up. We do have quite a few shows that do Powder Coat here but did not think it would be high temp enough
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Exhaust Manifold Coating - 09/02/22 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
Originally Posted by 69hemibeep
what temp is the powder coat good too?
We used to get ceramic coated here within driving distance but the closed up. We do have quite a few shows that do Powder Coat here but did not think it would be high temp enough

Standard HI TEMP POWDER coatings are good up to 600 degrees MAX short term, some of the newer SILICONE POWDER coating can sustain up to 1000 degree F MAX for short periods.....cast iron manifolds will see easily upwards of 800 degrees for prolonged periods....so as I mentioned in the other thread, powder coating exhaust manifolds is great for wall art or trailer queens, otherwise ceramic coating from the likes of Jet Hot or Rocket Coatings are the way to go, not that expensive either, and you can get the inside done as well, and it will last....probably longer than one's ownership of the vehicle
© 2024 Moparts Forums