Moparts

70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install

Posted By: Cuda340

70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/11/20 05:46 PM

Hello,

How do the flocked seals get installed on the chrome strip on the rear portion of the window? Is there a trick to sliding the seals down in the trim piece or do they get pushed in from the long edge? I have already ruined a couple pairs. It seems the flocking starts to come off super easy in chunks ruining the piece. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. Would love some helpfull install tips! Here is the part in mind: https://www.detroitmuscletechnologi...arter-window-leading-edge-seals-flocked/

Jeff
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/11/20 07:27 PM

I experienced the same issue....the flocking material is very easily damaged by any contact with the door or guide. Not sure it is a problem with your install. I believe it is a material/durability issue. I was pretty bumbed out to see this after a couple of times running the windows up and down. Not sure how long the originals lasted.

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/12/20 01:48 PM

Do you recall how you installed them?
Posted By: topside

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/12/20 02:22 PM

FWIW, the original stuff lasted a long time.
Hardtops I restored in the '90s showed little to no wear on them, and I re-used most of them.
(Last several cars since have been coupes or early B wagons.)
Maybe the glues & flocking now are not as good due to regulations ?
I'd call the manufacturer; the DMT stuff I recently bought was excellent.
Also, I haven't had any flocking problems on the sweeps/weatherstrips at the belt areas, or sedan run channels.

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/12/20 02:32 PM

I talked with Jim at DMT and also Metro who is the supplier. They both are great vendors, but couldn't really give me installation guidance. So I am reaching out to you guys for install tips.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/12/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cuda340
Do you recall how you installed them?

Don't remember exact steps.The install into the stainless was pretty simple. By the time I had my door and quarter glass adjusted (not a simple process) the flocking was damaged on both sides. Maybe the trick is using old seals to make the glass the adjustments....then install the new seals after glass is 99% adjusted.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/13/20 01:48 PM

Go to www.moparconnectionmagazine.com. Under "Tech" header go to the "Restoration section" on page two there is a step by step "How to" with detailed pictures on restoring these using the currently available felt gliders.
It will save you a whole lotta grief with these parts.

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/13/20 01:50 PM

Awresome Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/13/20 01:54 PM

In re-reading your post I may have thought you meant the glass sliders into the vent wing. If you mean the rubber felt covered chrome strip seal I just lube the channel with WD 40 and slide the seal in from the bottom. Hopefully these will help you get on down the road.

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/14/20 05:17 PM

Yeah I looked at the Mopar action article and it mentions the front ones, which I have to install anyways. But I am having a hard time sliding the rear seals in the chrome channel . I will give WD-40 a shot. I am going to try it on a messed up one to see if I can get it to work without the flock coming off.

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted By: 71TA

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/14/20 06:52 PM

I contacted Metro. even spoke with them today about this. Had a 2nd customer complain about the flocking peeling off near one of the ends. My contact at Metro said he would pass that info on to their QC guy.

I haven't had any complaints before so hoping this is a new issue but as a reseller not sure how to address it? Do I return 40 sets and hope they dont just send them back as "a new batch"? Do I open every bag and try to damage them to check - what a gigantic waste of time that would be to make $2? Personally I thing I'd just get the plain ones. On E bodies the 70 cars got flocked then 71-74 ONLY got the plain rubber ones. Think they did that for cost savings. On the A & B bodies I have never been able to nail down why/when they go flocked over plain. Again I'd just go with plain. In fact I may just sell the plain ones. I definitely dont want to sell a problematic product and there is no margin in them to have to do QC on my end.

PS I'm curious how these are installed too.

Re: 70 B-body Hardtop Door Glass Flocked Seal Install - 08/17/20 06:18 PM

Hello Jim,

I am still going to give it another shot. Did you happen to ship them out yet? I have one that's perfect. If not give me a call. Jeff Hammer
© 2024 Moparts Forums