Moparts

Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels

Posted By: Grizzly

Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/05/20 03:20 AM

Is it possible to straighten '70 'Cuda saggy tail light bezels?

I looked for a decent used set but even the "mint" ones are sagged across the top.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/05/20 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly

I looked for a decent used set but even the "mint" ones are sagged across the top.

Very common, not sure I've ever restored a 70 that didn't need the outer bezels bumped around, you can work them by hand pretty easily.
Posted By: David1971

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/05/20 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by HEMICUDA
Originally Posted by Grizzly

Very common, not sure I've ever restored a 70 that didn't need the outer bezels bumped around, you can work them by hand pretty easily.

Is one sagging this much salvageable?

David

Attached picture 041.JPG

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/06/20 10:14 AM

Yea, I've moved them that far, besides, what do you have to loose?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/06/20 12:50 PM

what causes that ?
beer
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/06/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
what causes that ?
beer

A mismatch in length between the bezel post and something on the assembly (forget what and don’t have a pic, dang it)
Once you straighten it pay special attention during reassembly, find where the preload is being applied and clear it, won’t happen again
I bet Mike has a pic of the area that needs cleared.

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/07/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by AAR#2
Originally Posted by moparx
what causes that ?
beer

A mismatch in length between the bezel post and something on the assembly (forget what and don’t have a pic, dang it)
Once you straighten it pay special attention during reassembly, find where the preload is being applied and clear it, won’t happen again
I bet Mike has a pic of the area that needs cleared.

You know, I've never looked at it that way, there just might be something to do with that. Just like the potmetal tail light bezels that warp, the side marker bezels have the same issue. Ever try to remove original lenses from side markers and the opening is closed up enough they won't come out? I've had to work the lengths of the side markers bezels to get them straight again.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/07/20 08:59 PM

Interesting.

I always thought it was the sun on the flat black that ruined them..

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/08/20 03:21 AM

So been thinking about this and again, from memory, so if off don’t be a hater, my mind may not be as sharp as I believe it to be.
The bezel is what holds the studs, and once straightened the studs rode the tail lamp housing holes tight. When you assemble them, I recall being able to get the studs started but when you would tighten the fasteners, the tighter you got the more it wanted to bend the bezel back to a warped condition. Pretty sure I was forced to clear the tail lamp housing holes a bit to be able to correct the condition.
Posted By: hemienvy

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/08/20 03:09 PM

How do you bend them back, with a rubber mallet ?

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/09/20 01:17 AM

I worked mine by hand, don’t be overly aggressive
Posted By: robertop

Re: Deformed '70 'Cuda Tail Light Bezels - 06/09/20 06:57 PM

I don't have a cuda, but in general I would do this: heat the warped areas gently with a heat gun then see how the area in question can be straightened by hand and, if so, fit the light assembly into it and let the area cool, maybe overnight, and then see if the warp is gone. You might have to do this more than once, just be careful not to heat the part too much. It should be not too hot to handle.
© 2024 Moparts Forums