Moparts

Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line

Posted By: floyd

Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 01:32 AM

I’m getting ready to spray some new paint on my 70 Challenger taillight bezels. I did a test run on an extra bezel and got a less than perfect masking line. Can I get some recommendations on a good masking tape for this kind of work and and tips/techniques to get a clean line when finished.

I used basic blue tape which was probably my first mistake. Is the a good choice for precision masking?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-06525-Yar...QI/ref=pd_sim_263_3/139-5041310-0536702?

Thanks!

Attached picture 7CF670B8-6616-4B97-9995-D6ACA5FBD326.jpeg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 02:44 AM

Use a vinyl tape.
Tamiya makes a very nice product and is used mainly in the model car world

Avail at most any hobby lobby

With any tape pull it off as soon as the paint starts to tack up for the cleanest edge line
Posted By: Neil

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 03:01 AM

I agree with using a vinyl tape. Heck you could even use black electrical tape if you already have some sitting around.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 03:15 AM

There is a product I used when I did School work experience at the local bodyshop. They called it "fine line" and it was on a thin roll and you could do all sorts of tricks with it. It barely left an edge when you pulled it off. Sorry, I don't know the product name, but I think this is it:

Fine Line

Attached picture 33.jpg
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 04:02 AM

I use the 3M precision masking tape that you linked in your first post. I prefer it over vinyl. It is very thin and leaves a crisp line. I also agree to pull the tape sooner than later before the paint bridges the tape and gives you poor results.
Posted By: srt

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 05:22 AM

for small detail areas I like to use liquid masking tape and or frisket. Find at art supply stores.
If you use the liquid mask paint it on and when dry cut with a film cutter, or even a xacto blade with a light hand peel off from the area you want to paint, them use the area still masked to apply masking tape and paper to cover other areas.
In a bind use contact paper. As above it cood to pull the tape before paint is cured out, also cut the paint film with a sharp exacto/light hand to avoid lifting.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 11:12 AM

3M has a new fine line masking tape.
our body shop used to use the blue vinyl tape. it worked great, much better than the light green tape, but doesn't like to stick long term in the curves. we now use a light purple tape. it has something built into it so it makes bends and stays there, i don't have a part #. when i order it from the paint store salesman i just ask for the 3M purple tape and he knows what i am talking about.
Posted By: floyd

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 11:59 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll check back with results.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/05/20 01:21 PM

Fine Lines by 3M, many grades/sizes of tape, price wise and paint specific applications...
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/06/20 01:58 AM

Boeing used to use a Nitto tape, till the cost cutters came in and stopped it. Its a yellow tape that is just wierd but works for perfect paint edges.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/06/20 04:41 PM

It also helps how the tape is pulled off too (at an angle)
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/06/20 05:18 PM

Have not seen it mentioned yet but clean the surface being masked thoroughly before placing the fine line tape , then a quick wipe along the edge after tape is down and just prior to painting.
Be careful placing fine line tape, pull too hard during application and the thinner widths can stretch giving a wonky like affect
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/07/20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Use a vinyl tape.

With any tape pull it off as soon as the paint starts to tack up for the cleanest edge line

Hello GTX ...... I've looked scope everywhere ! for TAMIYA "product" /. tape ??? Can you give me a name ? part number ??? shruggy

THANK YOU ! up bow thumbs wave
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/07/20 11:38 PM

It’s this stuff. It is good. They sell it different sizes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tamiya-8...7o-Xvc4fmqeJn2SQJJ7hoTW8XTcaAhHtEALw_wcB
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/08/20 02:30 AM

I used fine line tape and was in deep during my airboat build...All paint no vinyl striping...As other's have stated pull the tape before it flashes off too far and the paint rips instead of giving the line you're looking for..Also, pulling the tape properly is an art in itself..

Attached picture hull.jpg
Attached picture overview1.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/08/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by kidmopar
Originally Posted by gtx6970
Use a vinyl tape.

Hello GTX ...... I've looked scope everywhere ! for TAMIYA "product" /. tape ??? Can you give me a name ? part number ??? shruggy

THANK YOU ! up bow thumbs wave

I prefer the thin white vinyl stuff. It conforms to curves and corners better

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...RS0&_nkw=tamiya+tape&_sacat=1188
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/08/20 03:41 AM

COOL ! Thank You !!!! bow
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Best Masking Tape/Technique for Clean Paint Line - 06/08/20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by screamindriver
I used fine line tape and was in deep during my airboat build...All paint no vinyl striping...As other's have stated pull the tape before it flashes off too far and the paint rips instead of giving the line you're looking for..Also, pulling the tape properly is an art in itself..

Where are the wings? grin
© 2024 Moparts Forums