Moparts

Powder coat bucket seat frames?

Posted By: WS68SSC

Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/06/20 08:34 PM

Has anyone here powder coated a set of seat frames? I am debating on either powder coating or using POR15 paint on a set of 1969 Dodge Super Bee bucket seats that I am restoring.

Thanks guys
Posted By: topside

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/06/20 09:34 PM

Curing heat for powdercoat is probably not a good idea.
Rattle-can cheap gloss black is probably as good or better than OEM.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/06/20 10:05 PM

I had my bench and rear seat frames powder coated. I did not have any issues.
Posted By: 76orangewagon

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/06/20 11:44 PM

I powder coated my front/rear seat frames The guy I use baked them in his oven before coating to "cook the cat piss smell out ". No issues. Don't take your tracks apart just use paint for those....
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 12:37 AM

I had my front and rear seat frames powder coated. It might seem like overkill to some folks, but the cost of having them blasted and powder coated was reasonable. Also, it;s the best way to assure that all nooks and crannies are covered. I did not powder coat the tracks. It's best to disassemble, clean, grease, reassemble and then paint.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 12:22 PM

Have heard many with stories of success and honestly, can’t say I’ve heard of any were fear becomes reality. That said I’d recommend making an informed decision.

Not all powder is melted at the same temperature, ask your powder coater what temperature they use during the oven process. A conservative safe temp is anything below 300 Deg F, then you know you have no issues with altering the temper of the springs. Some powder houses use 450 Deg F and while they claim success I would not gamble. 350 Deg F would likely be fine but again, no guarantee

I’m also unsure how different powders hold up when applied to a spring, likely fine but it may depend on the powder brand and melting point.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 12:26 PM

I have a large enough oven here at my shop to powder coat everything from dash frames to rear end housings. Typically I cook at 350 degrees, you will not have any issues with seat frames. The parts that look bare metal are exactly that powder coated with flat clear and the steering column is a suede powder.

Attached picture lowercontrolarm.jpg
Attached picture Shanekelly.jpg
Attached picture shockplates.jpg
Attached picture steeringcolumn.jpg

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 12:39 PM

I've been keeping the oven busy helping out other guys as well as my own parts for customer restorations.

Attached picture steeringcolumn5.jpg
Attached picture suspparts4.jpg
Attached picture oven1.jpg
Attached picture uppercontrolarm2.jpg
Posted By: Chally426

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 01:56 PM

Damn Mike... That stuff looks good!!!

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 03:39 PM

Thx brother.

I'm going to take this opportunity to beg for forgiveness for not posting more on this site, I've been on e-bodies.org for a while now, unfortunately Alan Gallant found the website and completely polluted it like he tried to do here 4-5 years ago when he was ran out and wouldn't post again. The owner of e-bodies.com Cody Reich and his "Administrator" Dave Witt is a huge Alan fan for his prolific posting and Cody banned me indefinitely for smacking Alan in the mouth for yet another incorrect comment he made. I have never had any issue with anyone in this hobby and have always tried to help anyone I can, yet, I'm banned from Cody's website thx to him. And I'm cool with it, I will never post there again.

If the MOPARTS members don't mind, I would like to be more active here like I was in the recent past.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 04:33 PM

Mike, is that 8 3/4 center section just blasted and clear powder coated? I've got one to do soon and yours looks good. Is there a certain clear that works better than others? I think the powdercoater I've used in the past gets a lot of his powders from Caswel Plating.

As far as the OPs question. I had my Dart convertible seat frames powdercoated and they turned out great.
Posted By: topside

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 04:33 PM

So, seat springs hold up to more heat than I thought...

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
Mike, is that 8 3/4 center section just blasted and clear powder coated? I've got one to do soon and yours looks good. Is there a certain clear that works better than others? I think the powdercoater I've used in the past gets a lot of his powders from Caswel Plating.

As far as the OPs question. I had my Dart convertible seat frames powdercoated and they turned out great.

Yes, the center section is bare metal and powder coated with flat clear.

All these parts have also been powder coated, I had a different process for the rear brake backing plates to simulate the super dark phosphate finish.

All if these parts are being installed on a customers pink AAR we have in the shop.

Attached picture caliper1.jpg
Attached picture PINKAARPARKINGBRAKE.jpg
Attached picture rearend4.jpg
Attached picture powder7.jpg

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 04:57 PM

AAR

Attached picture PINKAARBODY.jpg
Attached picture PINKAARCUDA3.jpg
Attached picture PINKAARCUDA4.jpg
Attached picture PINKAARBODY3.jpg
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/07/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by HEMICUDA
Thx brother.

I'm going to take this opportunity to beg for forgiveness for not posting more on this site, I've been on e-bodies.org for a while now, unfortunately Alan Gallant found the website and completely polluted it like he tried to do here 4-5 years ago when he was ran out and wouldn't post again. The owner of e-bodies.com Cody Reich and his "Administrator" Dave Witt is a huge Alan fan for his prolific posting and Cody banned me indefinitely for smacking Alan in the mouth for yet another incorrect comment he made. I have never had any issue with anyone in this hobby and have always tried to help anyone I can, yet, I'm banned from Cody's website thx to him. And I'm cool with it, I will never post there again.

If the MOPARTS members don't mind, I would like to be more active here like I was in the recent past.

I don't know...what kind of credentials do you have ? Any past experience in the hobby? smile Your knowledge is always welcome here Mikey!!
Posted By: David1971

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 02:20 AM

I have a large enough oven here at my shop to powder coat everything from dash frames to rear end housings. Typically I cook at 350 degrees, you will not have any issues with seat frames. The parts that look bare metal are exactly that powder coated with flat clear and the steering column is a suede powder.

Mike, your work looks awesome. Is powder coating standard procedure on your restorations, or is it by customer request? I see a k-member hanging in one of your pictures. Does the coating cover up the date code? I have a friend who had his Cuda k-member coated a few years back and he had a problem getting some of the bolts to pass through the holes as their diameter became smaller. Looks like there is an art to getting the right amount on a given part.

Hey Billy, I apologize for knocking this thread off course a bit. But I am curious about powder coating as I know zilch about the process.
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 02:54 AM

I for one Mike would love to read any wisdom you have to share from your work. Thanks.

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by David1971

Mike, your work looks awesome. Is powder coating standard procedure on your restorations, or is it by customer request? I see a k-member hanging in one of your pictures. Does the coating cover up the date code? I have a friend who had his Cuda k-member coated a few years back and he had a problem getting some of the bolts to pass through the holes as their diameter became smaller. Looks like there is an art to getting the right amount on a given part.

Hey Billy, I apologize for knocking this thread off course a bit. But I am curious about powder coating as I know zilch about the process.

Yes, I am doing this on all our correct customer restorations in house, the process is so superior than even a catalyzed paint. Since I refuse to paint parts that were originally bare metal, the flat clear gives me the longevity of the finish I'm looking for.

I don't have any issues burying part numbers or powder build up even in threaded holes. Your commercial powder coaters tend to apply way more powder build than I do here, I don't want the black parts to look powder coated nor do I want to be able to see the clear powder on the bare metal parts.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 02:27 PM

Thanks for coming back to share your wisdom, Mike. You and your BE&A business was a big plus to the mopar community. I’m not one to just drink the Koolaid just because someone has an agenda and owns the website. And I certainly don’t like truths being hidden because you know someone. Your reputation stands own its own merit. I got bored with that site as well. I’ve had some issues with THEM. I won’t get into it here. If I want to play politics, I’ll watch those idiots we call politicians on tv. GLAD YOUR BACK.
Posted By: Chally426

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 02:39 PM

Dude.. That stuff looks awesome.. Just had a bunch powered coated on a 68 GTX I'm doing... Wish I would have known, Id had you do it.. Also, I thought about you the other day, as to the organosol treatment on the hood, Might pick your brain about where to get it and the best way to spray it when the time comes..

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
Thanks for coming back to share your wisdom, Mike. You and your BE&A business was a big plus to the mopar community. I’m not one to just drink the Koolaid just because someone has an agenda and owns the website. And I certainly don’t like truths being hidden because you know someone. Your reputation stands own its own merit. I got bored with that site as well. I’ve had some issues with THEM. I won’t get into it here. If I want to play politics, I’ll watch those idiots we call politicians on tv. GLAD YOUR BACK.

Amen to that brother.

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 03:32 PM

Call me anytime, would love to help.

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/08/20 06:30 PM

These parts just came out of the oven for a local customer that dropped off his dash frame, steering column and all the associated parts. Suede on some and 80%ish gloss on the others. They were dropped off yesterday and will be done tomorrow.

Attached picture ALMOSER.jpg

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/23/20 05:22 PM

These parts just came out of the oven for a local customer that dropped off his dash frame, steering column and all the associated parts. Suede on some and 80%ish gloss on the others. They were dropped off yesterday and will be done tomorrow.

Al is a local customer, here is his column I powder coated for his 74 Challenger, great job Al.

Attached picture AL.jpg
Attached picture AL1.jpg
Attached picture AL2.jpg
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/23/20 06:17 PM

Thx brother.

Please do, sir. You're the best.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/24/20 12:02 PM

Thx brother.

That sux about E-bodies, kinda. Anyway......

If the MOPARTS members don't mind, I would like to be more active here like I was in the recent past
you better get cracking, Mike. You have some catching up to do whistle
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Powder coat bucket seat frames? - 05/24/20 11:12 PM

Your powder coating looks great Mike. I'm a fan of going powder coating whenever possible. Your clear finish is a great idea.Welcome back to Moparts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums