Moparts

Master cylinder bolt

Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Master cylinder bolt - 03/26/20 12:55 AM

I have 2 old master cylinders from my 70 GTX. NON power drum brakes. Neither was mounted on the car when I got it. One does not have any mounting bolts in it, the other has 4 bolts pressed in facing into the car's dash that would get nuts on them from under the dash and holding he clutch/brake pedal frame in place. Which is correct?
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Master cylinder bolt - 03/26/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 70HemiGTX
I have 2 old master cylinders from my 70 GTX. NON power drum brakes. Neither was mounted on the car when I got it. One does not have any mounting bolts in it, the other has 4 bolts pressed in facing into the car's dash that would get nuts on them from under the dash and holding he clutch/brake pedal frame in place. Which is correct?

Nuts under the dash on a 69 RR,I would think they would be the same on a 70 GTX.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Master cylinder bolt - 03/26/20 10:56 PM

Non power drums stud in master cylinder. If it was power drum, the studs are on the booster so no studs in MC.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Master cylinder bolt - 03/27/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by dragon slayer
Non power drums stud in master cylinder. If it was power drum, the studs are on the booster so no studs in MC.

yep
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Master cylinder bolt - 03/27/20 01:14 PM

getting to those suckers is one of the worst projects Ive done. If you're not young or smallish, take the seat out.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Master cylinder bolt - 03/27/20 05:41 PM

A flat-rater showed me a trick...a 24" 1/4" drive extension with a 1/2" deep swivel socket.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Master cylinder bolt - 03/28/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by LimeliteAero
getting to those suckers is one of the worst projects Ive done. If you're not young or smallish, take the seat out.

This old fat boy agrees with you 100%.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Master cylinder bolt - 03/28/20 08:35 PM

[b][/b]Great. So I should put the master cylinder in before I even think of putting the dash in and or the seats or the shifter or anything else. Because I sure as heck can't twist like a pretzel any more. Not that I really could before.

Thanks for the info though. I bought one of those new master cylinders off of ebay to put in the car. I know some of the plating isn't correct, but the shape of the lid is perfect. So that's a bonus. I'll transfer the studs over to the new master cylinder.

Thanks everyone for the help. up
© 2024 Moparts Forums