Moparts

74 360 engine detail

Posted By: 340cpe

74 360 engine detail - 03/15/20 02:39 AM

Looking for some pictures of a 74 360 for proper detailing. Any help would be appreciated. I did search it and found great info from Scott Harms but it was for a 71 and probably not accurate for the 72 and up small blocks. Thanks!!
Posted By: a12rag

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/15/20 02:09 PM

Here are some pics of my 74 Duster360 . . . Some the changes I made : right hand side 340 exhaust manifold, 90 deg. oil filter adapter, dual snorkel air cleaner from 400/440 . . .

Attached picture engine bay.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0331.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0332.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0334.JPG

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/16/20 02:46 AM

Is this original other than the changes that you mentioned? I am working on a b-body and looking for items like,color of Water pump bolts attaching power steering and alternator brackets, choke coil detail, any carb detail etc. etc. like I said earlier Scott Harms had excellent photos of a 71 but like everyone knows it seems when you get 72 and up the interest seems to fade off a bit particularly in the detail department. Thank You and if you could get a few shots on the front, top and sides of the engine it would be great!!
Posted By: 71vert340

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/16/20 01:55 PM

I have a 74 Charger 360 Rallye but the engine was pulled and rebuilt in 1990. If you're looking for things like paint marks, etc. then I can't help you there. I did just install an NOS Carter TQ on it with all original markings. This car had a lot of dealer installed items on it such as A/C which changed some things.
Terry

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/16/20 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 340cpe
Is this original other than the changes that you mentioned? I am working on a b-body and looking for items like,color of Water pump bolts attaching power steering and alternator brackets, choke coil detail, any carb detail etc. etc. like I said earlier Scott Harms had excellent photos of a 71 but like everyone knows it seems when you get 72 and up the interest seems to fade off a bit particularly in the detail department. Thank You and if you could get a few shots on the front, top and sides of the engine it would be great!!

Sorry, I have sold the car a few years ago, so don't have any other pics . . . . as for original, the original engine had been rebuilt (probably had 70k miles on the rebuild when I sold the car), so water pump had been changed, but all brackets were original, TQ was original, although I had rebuilt it a couple of times . . .

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/16/20 08:59 PM

Here's a photo of the Carter TQ before installation. It's installed on the engine but has yet to be filled with gas.

Terry

Attached picture Carter TQ Carb.jpg

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/17/20 02:18 AM

Does anyone know if exhaust manifolds were installed when the engine was painted? Were all the water pump bolts painted engine color, then removed to install the pwr steering and alternator brackets? Is fan spacer black or natural aluminum? Are the plug wires orange? These are some of the questions I had @nd Thanks!

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/22/20 02:07 AM

Also were all the air cleaners orange for the 360 in 74? It is a four barrel.

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/22/20 07:41 PM

Yes

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/24/20 01:50 AM

A12 I am assuming it is yes to the air cleaner, any help with the other questions I had in the previous post?

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/24/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 340cpe
A12 I am assuming it is yes to the air cleaner, any help with the other questions I had in the previous post?

Correct - air cleaner color. Uhh, my memory is too fuzzy to respond with any certainty to your questions . . . I am gonna go out on limb and say the water pump bolts were painted engine color, but the power steering pump bolts were black or black phospate??? Maybe someone else could chime in on this too . . . .
Posted By: burdar

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/24/20 03:45 PM

https://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

Exhaust manifolds were still on the engine before it was painted. Water pump bolts would have been in place when painted also.

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/24/20 08:11 PM

Thanks for the help! Obviously not a very popular restoration and somewhat difficult to find the “proper” information so I certainly appreciate anything that I can find. If anyone else would have more on the detail of a 74 360 it would be great.
Posted By: Kowal

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/24/20 11:12 PM

This should help. Was a 73 340 Challenger that I had at one time. The exhaust manifolds were from a T/A, everything else is reasonably correct. The car was in a Challenger/Cuda book (Genat's) and a magazine.

Attached picture After rebuild 008.jpg

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/24/20 11:22 PM

There are some pictures in the Jim Schild Challenger/Cuda book. The 74 yellow cuda in there was a stunning reference restoration when seen in person, out of Detroit at the time. I think it was written up in a magazine or two if you can find it, I saw it at the Mopar Nats...probably around 2010 or something like that. The 74 had the heat switch in the radiator, the catch bottle, etc and the pictures show that. There are 5 pretty good ones. Here is the car at Mecum...

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0115-203335/1974-plymouth-cuda/

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/25/20 12:38 PM

That Cuda is an older OE restoration and has a few things that I don't think are correct but overall it's a nice representation. The booster looks like a Midland Ross and should be yellow/gold zinc plated. Some 74s came with a Bendix booster that is crimped together. Those were painted black. The standoff bracket that the electronic ignition box mounts to should also be yellow/gold zinc.

The Challenger picture above has a couple things to look at as well. The dipstick handle color has been debated. Some years were black and not engine color. Not sure what 74 should be. Also, I don't believe that the negative cables were painted on the small blocks. It's hard to tell which booster style that Challenger has. If it has a Bendix, the black paint is correct.

Also, I question the yellow/gold plating on the master cylinder cap. Everyone seems to finish them that way however, look at this picture of an original owner 73 Cuda. This picture was taken around 74. It shows a black dipstick handle and no zinc plating on the master cylinder cover.
[Linked Image]

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/26/20 02:20 AM

Some great photo’s for reference, the 73 in the first picture has orange plug wires the other two do not, which is correct? I must also say through this whole post I never mentioned that I was working on a 74 B body. I am quite sure that many of these e body’s were the same. Engine is ready for paint and just thought that when assembling may as well put together properly. All the help so far has been great and will welcome anyone else’s input. Good to know there are a few people out interested in the 3’s and 4’s.

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/26/20 04:52 AM

Here's a photo I found on the internet of what appears to be an untouched 74 Charger Rallye. This is how I remember my car being when I bought it in 1986. The brackets that are black had black headed bolts. On this engine, it looks like worm screw type clamps are used on radiator hoses instead of Corbin clamps, a typical replacement over the years.
Terry

Attached picture 1974DodgeCharger_04_700.jpg

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/26/20 01:24 PM

In 74 the plug wires should be orange. My personal opinion is that early 73s were still black with red boots.

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/26/20 02:30 PM

As stated, the 1974 cars haven't received much notice until recently. Not much information on what is correct and what isn't. My 74 Charger has this same black air cleaner in the photo I posted of the red Charger Rallye although I bought an orange one and I can change it. My brake booster ( original as far as I can tell) is black. I too am trying to get mine as original as possible but it won't be perfect. Enjoy the car.
Terry

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/26/20 09:09 PM

Now that we know the car. Go to the Mecum website for Kissimmee this year, the Wellborn museum sold a 72 and a 74 Charger, both sort of touched up survivor cars, should give you a few bits of info. You will have to give Mecum your e-mail in order to do the search.

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/27/20 02:02 AM

Thanks for the reply on the wires, as near as I can tell you are correct. I thought the change to orange was sometime in 73 and you supporting what I learned is another step to confirm that. Mecum does have my email and Thank You for the tip, I had seen that car listed, great idea and I will check it out Thanks. Terry great picture and info, it’s nice to see a b body. I can get a lot of info from that. I am surprised that air cleaner is black on a rally, I thought for sure it would have been orange. I do believe mine should be black, I’m putting together an SE, but I have been told it could have been either color. How about the negative battery cable, installed before engine paint or not? Thanks again to everyone, keep the info coming!!

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/27/20 04:55 AM

I replaced my negative battery cable and the old one was not painted. Was it the original? I can't say for sure. I have some old photos of my engine before I detailed it. I'll have to see if they are of any good to get details.
Terry

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/28/20 02:16 AM

Thank you sir!!!

Re: 74 360 engine detail - 03/30/20 01:39 AM

The mecum sight was helpful thanks again for the suggestion. Does anyone know if the pvc valve was painted with the engine?
© 2024 Moparts Forums