Moparts

spray can bare metal color

Posted By: buzz440

spray can bare metal color - 02/13/20 01:01 AM

Hi all, I know this has probably been beaten to death already but....... does anyone know who makes the closest match for the bare metal look in rattle can form.

Later, BUZZ
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/13/20 03:43 AM

Matte clear works good.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/13/20 05:36 AM

Depends on lighting: Is the item at top or bottom of the engine bay?

Are you painting aluminum casting, aluminum sheet, aluminum extrusion, pot metal die casting, cast iron, forged steel, cold rolled steel sheet, hot rolled steel shape? As cast, as machined, as rolled, etc.?

There is a thorough testing of many colors Here

One option for bare steel is to leave the item actually bare metal by applying phosphoric acid, wiping with mineral spirits, and coating with 50-50 Cosmoline-mineral spirits. This may last as long as a year or much more. In case of bare steel, later minor surface rusting is easily fixed by simply repeating the process starting with rubbing the item with Scotch-Brite pad or similar wetted with phosphoric acid.

Before and after photos show treatment of bare aluminum that was deteriorating and showing powdery "white rust" particles. The treatment was dry brushing off the white rust, wet brushing with soapy water, and after drying, application of Henkel Alodine 1201 yellow. The photos were taken after the white rust particles were removed. Alodine is mainly for treating and preserving bare aluminum aircraft parts. It comes in yellow or clear. Can also be used on zinc plating.

I believe a few Mopar bare aluminum parts of the late 1960s-1970s were treated with yellow Alodine or similar. Examples were starter and alternator parts.

Attached picture IMG_0178.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0179.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0177.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0180.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/13/20 02:40 PM

For bare sheet metal I use a "stainless steel" color but every metal will differ of course.
Posted By: second 70

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/14/20 05:06 PM

I used Eastwood Diamond clear satin on all bare metal that was suppose to have a natural look. I tested on old brake lines and compared after painting and couldn't tell painted from non-painted. The hood release cable, hood latches,fuel lines,brake lines,clutch linkage, steering coupler,and I even went back and sprayed some in the lid and painted all the zinc bolts by hand after everything was tightened.

Hardest part is it's hard to see when you spray it on and you have to be careful and trust yourself so you don't over apply and case drips and cloudiness. Just use several light coats.

Attached picture cc0331_97.jpg
Posted By: burdar

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/14/20 06:13 PM

Seymour Stainless Steel is the bare metal color
Seymour Cast Blast is their darker cast iron color
Seymour Aluma Blast is the aluminum color

IMO, all of the Eastwood paints are just relabled Seymour paints.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/14/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
Seymour Stainless Steel is the bare metal color
Seymour Cast Blast is their darker cast iron color
Seymour Aluma Blast is the aluminum color

IMO, all of the Eastwood paints are just relabled Seymour paints.

Agreed,
I've used all three of these colors from Seymour paints, with good results. And are IMO the best option for the intended result. BUT,,, make no mistake you CAN tell its painted not bare metal
Posted By: Suregrip391

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/14/20 11:14 PM

Seymour is what I’ve used 16-048 cast blast. That is the darker cast iron look. Very good coverage.
Posted By: buzz440

Re: spray can bare metal color - 02/16/20 07:33 PM

Has anyone used the..... BARE STEEL paint from in-line tube ? they have it listed on their website for $12.00 seems like this might be the metal match we're all looking for. If anyone has used this product please post your results, is it worth it or stick with Seymours stainless steel finish.

Later, BUZZ
© 2024 Moparts Forums