Moparts

Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires

Posted By: David1971

Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 01/31/20 05:31 PM

I have searched this forum and also did a google search, but did not get any "hits" on this issue: I have a new set of (4) Goodyear Polyglas GT's. Just finished unwrapping the tires and cleaning them with Meguiar's D14301. I see that the nubs on the sidewall (I think the technical term is "vent spew" protrusions) are white with a black outer skin. I have not clipped any of them, but some have been torn off, possibly at the manufacturing plant or during shipment. The end result is a white dot on the sidewall which is noticeable at 10 - 15 feet or more. Surely, I am not the only one that has had this problem. My guess is that during the manufacturing process, too much white material was loaded into the mold.

Attached picture 001.JPG
Attached picture 004 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture 006.JPG
Attached picture 009 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 02/03/20 02:11 PM

Yeah, I just clipped them off and hit them with a little black SEM flex paint on a brush.. No more white spots.

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 02/05/20 12:42 AM

Mike, I would like to know which SEM paint you used. Is it a flat black....and did you get a good color match? I would appreciate if you could pass along the part number.

By the way, I was at the Wellborn Museum this past Saturday. There are some unmounted NOS Polyglas GT's in inventory. I took a couple of pictures of an E60 and did not see the problem. Looks like this is an issue with current production.

Attached picture 007.JPG
Attached picture 012.JPG
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/08/20 04:14 PM

Can I ask where you bought them..I am in the market for a set.Thanks
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/08/20 04:38 PM

Oh.

My.

Gawd.

For the love of all that is holy, someone get this man a nailclipper and a black felt pen.

rolleyes
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/08/20 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Oh.

My.

Gawd.

For the love of all that is holy, someone get this man a nailclipper and a black felt pen.

rolleyes

I agree....and to think at one time the Mopar crowd would laugh at the hand wringing and anal tendencies of the Vette crowd....lol!
Posted By: BDW

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/08/20 08:17 PM

Oh.

My.
Gawd.
rolleyes

Haha, no reason we can’t make things hard......
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/09/20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BDW
Oh.

My.
Gawd.
rolleyes

Haha, no reason we can’t make things hard......

The white is the actual rubber color before adding carbon black to make them black.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/09/20 11:11 AM

My concern would be the problem that the white rubber might be just under the surface and ready to be exposed by the slightest abrasions. As much as those cost, I’d be concerned as well.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/09/20 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
My concern would be the problem that the white rubber might be just under the surface and ready to be exposed by the slightest abrasions. As much as those cost, I’d be concerned as well.

I had the same thing on my first set of Polyglas F60-15's that I bought about 16 yrs ago, trim the t1ts off and daub with a sharpie....done, no fuss, no muss, no issues...

this is nothing new, just a manufacturing condition, it may vary tire to tire, or lot to lot?

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/14/20 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by 70RR383
Can I ask where you bought them..I am in the market for a set.Thanks

They were purchased directly from Kelsey Tire Inc.

David
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/14/20 04:46 PM

I use Rusty Smalls for vintage tire purchases. He’s great to deal with. I ordered a set of the new radial Goodyear FR70x14 tires from him in May and UPS dropped them off at my house in 3 or 4 days.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/14/20 10:43 PM

When I needed a set a few years ago, I used Jim.
member 44D6PAKCUDA

And will again if I need tires

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/794/44d6pakcuda.html

Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/24/20 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
When I needed a set a few years ago, I used Jim.
member 44D6PAKCUDA

And will again if I need tires

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/794/44d6pakcuda.html

Jim doesn't sell them anymore, I contacted him last spring and that's what he told me. I ended up using Rusty and he was also great to work with.
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Kelsey Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 tires - 11/25/20 12:42 AM

Bought two sets from Rusty and am very satisfied. While we are on the subject of tires I am looking for a set of G78-14 duel white Goodyear’s.
© 2024 Moparts Forums