Moparts

Who makes the best automotive carpet these days?

Posted By: A34

Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/19/20 07:09 PM

Guys,

Opened up a boxed ACC carpet set I've had since around '97. It was cut wrong. Gotta love it. I'm guessing maybe it was a return they didn't inspect and I was the lucky beneficiary of it. Anyway, I need some carpet. Who make the best stuff these days?

Thanks!
A34
Posted By: topside

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/19/20 08:02 PM

ECS is highly regarded as the best; haven't used it myself, though, just what I've read here.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/19/20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by topside
ECS is highly regarded as the best; haven't used it myself, though, just what I've read here.

ECS carpet is still ACC carpet, just made to more stringent specifications set by the late Dave Walden, if your interested in ECS's "ship flat" OEM style carpet sets, don't hesitate to order, with Dave's recent passing, who knows how long ECS may continue to offer this service, as the Mopar restoration line they offered was Dave's passion more than the core of the business...

Mike
Posted By: A34

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/20/20 02:42 AM

What sets these apart other than being shipped flat?
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/20/20 04:52 AM

The one e-body ship flat set I had was also not trimmed short at kick panels and firewall. I just ordered a regular e-body set in december, and it was also not trimmed, maybe they do not trim any of them anymore. The fit is pretty good with a little heat and letting it sit in the car for a month. It is replacing an acc set from the 90s that was way to short at the kick panels. Anyway last 2 normal acc 4-speed sets have been almost perfect for me, but I expect to have to heat and work them a bit.

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/20/20 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by A34
What sets these apart other than being shipped flat?

Heel pad placement, extra material, FRESHLY made/molded not rolled up in a box sitting on a self in inventory for who knows how long...
Posted By: Big D A12

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/20/20 12:05 PM

The ECS carpets are best. Yes, they cost more but if you value your time, they easily pay for themselves. No wrestling with them to fit the tunnel and floor pans. You still have to trim the edges but the quality of the fit is excellent.

D
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/20/20 04:23 PM

The last 3 or 4 sets of ACC carpet Ive used had all kind of extra material and fit very nice IMO . Key is taking them out of the box and let them lay flat for a while. Like 6 months in a warm area would be good start

I used a Trim Parts carpet a few years ago and it SUCKED bad.
Posted By: Dante

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/20/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
The last 3 or 4 sets of ACC carpet Ive used had all kind of extra material and fit very nice IMO . Key is taking them out of the box and let them lay flat for a while. Like 6 months in a warm area would be good start

I used a Trim Parts carpet a few years ago and it SUCKED bad.

Absolutely correct. As long as you take the carpet out of the box as soon as you get it you will have no issues with the install.
I stock no carpet, all of my carpet when ordered is made fresh by ACC and shipped to you within 24-48 hours that ensures you will not have
a carpet that has been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long.

As far as choices of manufacturer, you have only one company that makes carpet and that is ACC.
Trim parts was the other manufacturer but they no longer are in the carpet business.
Posted By: Barrelhouse

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/21/20 02:47 AM

ECS for my 72 Demon with 4-spd excellent but more costly well worth it in my opinion.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/21/20 06:09 PM

For rolled up carpet put the carpet in the car and place old phone books, blankets, etc on the carpet and let it sit for awhile. The weight will make the carpet conform to the floor boards eventually.
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/22/20 02:38 AM

I often mention this supplier because I do believe they are a Great fitting carpet. It is the former Motorparts south now I believe it is showtime restorations. Have purchased a couple so far with plenty of excess for trimming and fits the contours of the floor beautifully. Two of them were four speeds and they fit the hump correctly.

Re: Who makes the best automotive carpet these days? - 01/22/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 340cpe
I often mention this supplier because I do believe they are a Great fitting carpet. It is the former Motorparts south now I believe it is showtime restorations. Have purchased a couple so far with plenty of excess for trimming and fits the contours of the floor beautifully. Two of them were four speeds and they fit the hump correctly.

IIRC, ACC is now also their supplier.... I believe their former supplier was AC Dorset, which was acquired by ACC quite a few years ago...
© 2024 Moparts Forums