Moparts

Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can

Posted By: blewbyu

Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 12:07 AM

I am looking to buy a Qt. of Race Hemi Orange as I believe that is correct for a 64 Max Wedge also. I bought what Bill Hirsch sells but it does not look right. was wondering if anyone knows where to get the correct paint.

Thanks
Posted By: VCODE

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 12:48 AM

Frank Badelson
Posted By: A12

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 03:49 AM

Roger Gibson Restoration (i.e; Frank Badalson) I would call and ask them if their paint is correct for '64 race Hemi (orange)?

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/

"Click here to view our most recent parts catalog (PDF). Give us a call if you have any questions at (804) 275-2155!"

Roger Gibson Auto Restoration•
106 State Highway PP•Scott City MO 63780•
573.264.2022•F: 573.264.3821•rogergibsonautorestoration@gmail.com

Frank Badalson American Performance•
7622 Whitepine Rd.•Richmond VA 23237•
•sixpackfrank@aol.com

This is what they list in pint cans but only for '66 - '71

HEPP6 Hemi engine paint 66-early 69 …………………………………………... Pint $68.00
HEPPL Hemi engine paint late 69-71…………………………………………….. Pint $65.00

MikeR
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 08:33 AM

Back in the old days (before moparts lost like 10,000 Members) a reply would come up with a rattle-can or home brew version that would be a dead-on match.

Sincerely,

Another happy member of the new board.

Try the search feature, OP, I know this has come up a few times in the past with a $12 solution. luck

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Back in the old days (before moparts lost like 10,000 Members) a reply would come up with a rattle-can or home brew version that would be a dead-on match.

Sincerely,

Another happy member of the new board.

Try the search feature, OP, I know this has come up a few times in the past with a $12 solution. luck

Personally I have never found a rattle can that ever had the amount of solids to get a good factory type finish as a mix and reduce can and spray-gun/compressor job. Unfortunately good quality automotive paint is expensive now and the only way to do a professional job. Also it will take (sometimes) at least 3-4 $12 rattle cans to do the job well which ends up being $20 bucks short of a can of good mix paint. I've used Frank and Roger's engine paints many times and more than satisfied with the results and well worth the price, just saying.

Mike

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 01:28 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I will give them a call. up
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 05:27 PM

That’s the color I’m using on my 66 Hemi, I have an old rattle can of the factory stuff. I’ll be spaying a sample then getting it analyzed so I’ll have a quart. When done I’ll post the results.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 05:32 PM

Somewhere in the archives is a thread about engine paints and there were actual Dupont mix codes you could take to the store to get a quantity mixed be it in a can or an aerosol.

There was also some discussion about there being a difference between "Hemi Orange" and the actual engine paint color not actually being the same color at all technically speaking.

Whether that is relevant to your Max Wedge engine color or not... shruggy

Kevin
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 05:42 PM

In the past I have used Totally Auto 215-322-2277 I loved the results

www.totallyautoinc.com
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 06:25 PM

I think TA stopped selling paint.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/19/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by blewbyu
I am looking to buy a Qt. of Race Hemi Orange as I believe that is correct for a 64 Max Wedge also. I bought what Bill Hirsch sells but it does not look right.

Why? What are you comparing it to?
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/20/19 12:42 AM

Here is the problem. None of the new colors are correct because of the orange tint that goes in the color is not made anymore so they are substituting with other tints to trying to make it the correct color and most of them are off. I am also trying to find the correct color.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/20/19 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by davesmopars
Here is the problem. None of the new colors are correct because of the orange tint that goes in the color is not made anymore so they are substituting with other tints to trying to make it the correct color and most of them are off. I am also trying to find the correct color.

How would you know how far off from original 50 yr old paint ? This is Mopar Race Hemi orange painted in 1999,today you can hardly see any difference. shruggy If I get a chance I'll take a picture to compare and post it.

Attached picture Picture 139.jpg

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/20/19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by blewbyu
I am looking to buy a Qt. of Race Hemi Orange as I believe that is correct for a 64 Max Wedge also. I bought what Bill Hirsch sells but it does not look right.

Why? What are you comparing it to?

Bill Hirsch paint is a more of brighter orange color like the Street Hemi color where the Race Hemi is more on a lighter yellow tint and not as bright.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/20/19 05:16 PM

But, again, how does anybody know what's correct? What are you comparing it to?
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/23/19 01:07 AM

Perfect match.

Attached picture 3D3C8B06-EBC3-44D7-B930-2E3D67C6C54C.jpeg
Attached picture 3C23C6C2-60A6-4F81-B8BA-D62A9362D88E.jpeg

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/23/19 01:38 AM

I want it. Who’s paint is that?
Posted By: Topcat

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 11/27/19 07:16 AM

When I painted my Hemi, I used VHT high temp grey primer.

Scuffed it wit a 3M pad then sprayed it wit Roger Gibson paint.

No lifting or peeling at all years later.

Attached picture Hemi_painted_2.jpg
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/02/19 02:29 PM

I got my race hemi orange from Roger Gibson. It is PPG shop line Enamel. I wanted to put DP epoxy primer on my engine before painting it , but they said not to because it might effect the paint color. I don't really like the idea of painting over a raw engine, just my thoughts that might not properly stick. So looking back I wish that I had just went ahead and put the epoxy primer down and painted it, but we shall see how it holds up.
Matt

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/05/19 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattsmopars
I got my race hemi orange from Roger Gibson. It is PPG shop line Enamel. I wanted to put DP epoxy primer on my engine before painting it , but they said not to because it might effect the paint color. I don't really like the idea of painting over a raw engine, just my thoughts that might not properly stick. So looking back I wish that I had just went ahead and put the epoxy primer down and painted it, but we shall see how it holds up.
Matt

I thought all of the manufactures painted the assembly line engines without primer? Seems the original engine paint held up without primer first.......sure is a pain to remove 40-50 year old factory engine paint down to the bare metal, must be the prep before paint?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/05/19 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by mattsmopars
Matt

I thought all of the manufactures painted the assembly line engines without primer? Seems the original engine paint held up without primer first.......sure is a pain to remove 40-50 year old factory engine paint down to the bare metal, must be the prep before paint?

This because I have a friend in Windsor Ontario that actually did just that !

( I thought all of the manufactures painted the assembly line engines without primer? )
Posted By: topside

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/05/19 01:15 AM

^^^ I've seen plenty of peeling/flaking OEM engine paint through the years, especially after the engines were a few years old.
Especially on the tin.
But not all of them, to be fair.
Whether it was due to chemical strength or cleanliness (which could be doubtful, don't know, wasn't there), I don't know.
I do know that I don't want to paint an engine (or anything else) twice, so I use a primer.
As a bonus, primers generally require less paint application to get the right final color.
Strictly correct? Nope. Looks great for decades? Yup.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/05/19 06:37 AM

Like All solvent based products today, there's no comparison with older products. Be it Paint, Paint Remover, Drain/Household Cleaners, etc. Many of the components used are not used anymore, are banned/restricted, or substituted with lesser types.
Posted By: MI Mopar Works

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/05/19 05:08 PM

I have my local paint supplier mix AMC Mandarin Orange for me in a urethane basecoat and clear over it for the jewelry look.

Attached picture mikes70rr383.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/05/19 09:32 PM

would it be safe to prime over existing paint that was applied during a rebuild several years ago, or should i just scrub clean and apply paint directly to what is there ?
beer
Posted By: moparx

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/06/19 03:14 PM

any opinion on my question ?
beer
Posted By: topside

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/06/19 04:50 PM

I'd try to clean the old paint off with lacquer thinner or enamel reducer & a red ScotchBrite pad first.
An etch primer is for bare metal, but a regular primer will also aid adhesion.
The issue with previous paint is mostly compatibility with the new paint, so it's best to test an area.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/10/19 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by A12
HEPPL Hemi engine paint late 69-71…Pint $65.00 It is PPG shop line Enamel.

You'd need probably 2 pts for all engine parts. That's $130 !!!!!.
Because what? It's a "tad" lighter/darker then Hirsch/POR-15/Mandarin orange.
Crazy price. And people [censored] about car paint prices.
Another "nail" in-the-coffin for moderate hobby restoration projects.
After some time in that running engine compartment, betcha that "correct"
color will change to a degree.

Re: Where to buy Hemi Race Orange in a Qt can - 12/10/19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Originally Posted by A12
HEPPL Hemi engine paint late 69-71…Pint $65.00 It is PPG shop line Enamel.

You'd need probably 2 pts for all engine parts. That's $130 !!!!!.
Because what? It's a "tad" lighter/darker then Hirsch/POR-15/Mandarin orange.
Crazy price. And people [censored] about car paint prices.
Another "nail" in-the-coffin for moderate hobby restoration projects.
After some time in that running engine compartment, betcha that "correct"
color will change to a degree.

Is that street or race Hemi paint?
© 2024 Moparts Forums