Moparts

Looking for a source for power steering pumps

Posted By: Hemidavey

Looking for a source for power steering pumps - 11/13/19 08:41 PM

Hi, I'm repairing a customers car. 68 340 Cuda. The pump is leaking, does anyone have a rebuilder?
I've called cardone, advance, autozone, orielly, so far no one can get a unit
Thanks
Posted By: burdar

Re: Looking for a source for power steering pumps - 11/13/19 08:43 PM

Have you looked into just buying a seal kit and rebuilding it yourself? That's what I did with my Saganaw. Advance Auto had a seal kit for it. One kit just included the seals. They had another kit that included the shaft bushing.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Looking for a source for power steering pumps - 11/14/19 05:30 AM

Steer n gear had seal kits for the federal and trw pumps, pretty sure they could help you.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Looking for a source for power steering pumps - 11/14/19 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by burdar
Have you looked into just buying a seal kit and rebuilding it yourself? That's what I did with my Saganaw. Advance Auto had a seal kit for it. One kit just included the seals. They had another kit that included the shaft bushing.

Yeah that would be the way to go
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Looking for a source for power steering pumps - 11/14/19 11:05 AM

Got mine from rock auto and built it myself for a customers 69 federal pump. It was leaking from the bottom bolt hole. Use the Right Stuff sealant on the o ring around the can I used a little dab on the flat o ring for the bottom bolt as well. Mine was leaking pretty bad. I pulled it off to watch and locate the leak Most rebuilders don’t include the can anyway.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Looking for a source for power steering pumps - 11/17/19 05:49 PM

Easy fix. Assuming it's a TRW/Federal pump, and the can isn't cracked, only 3 places it can leak from - the seal for the output shaft to the pulley, the big o ring for the can, and a smaller o ring between the can and pump casting where the bolt goes thru the can into the pump casting for the bracket. Only tough part is the pulling the pulley, but the right tool makes it easy.
© 2024 Moparts Forums