Moparts

shaker base plate stud markings?

Posted By: sbcjd

shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/17/19 06:00 PM

Trying to determine if a shaker base plate is original or not. I think one way is to look at the markings on the head of the studs? anyone have information about this?

Thank you
Posted By: mccannix

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/17/19 11:11 PM

Original run 70 bases had this stud head with markings shown on left, 5 over SB.
Sometime later, during the 71 run they went to the smaller head with no markings longer stud, shown on right.
A lot of over the counter or NOS bases had the later stud.

There are a lot of subtle differences other than the studs in a reproduction base verses original..

Attached picture shakerstud.jpg
Posted By: 71 SHAKR

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/17/19 11:44 PM

Easiest way is by studs as in the pic Mccannix just posted. Also I believe the metal on original bases can be wavy from the way the vender press cut the bases. The repos are straight and not wavy as they are cut differently. Mccannix...please correct me if I'm wrong!

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/18/19 03:43 AM

Thank you, the picture really helps.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/18/19 11:41 AM

These studs were used in many applications. Where can you get them? I need some to repair the header panel on a 69 Charger. They are always broken off.

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/18/19 02:35 PM

Chrysler used the numbered stud on lots of applications on various models for many years....
To name a few...E body trunk plates, top rad support, window guide part ..top picture.
Earliest I have seen them is on these lower window stops on a 67 Belvedere..bottom picture
The trick is removing them.

Attached picture shakestudSB5b.jpg
Attached picture shakestudSB5a.jpg

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/18/19 05:14 PM

Any other tips in distinguishing a original base plate from a reproduction besides the studs?
Posted By: fastmark

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/18/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mccannix
Chrysler used the numbered stud on lots of applications on various models for many years....
To name a few...E body trunk plates, top rad support, window guide part ..top picture.
Earliest I have seen them is on these lower window stops on a 67 Belvedere..bottom picture
The trick is removing them.

So the ones you have in the picture that are off are ones you removed and not ones you have purchased, correct?

Re: shaker base plate stud markings? - 08/19/19 01:19 AM

The ones I posted pictures of are from some of the inventory I acquired in the 80's at Fram, the manufacturer of all the steel shaker components.
I still have some of the later small headed studs pictured.
© 2024 Moparts Forums