Moparts

Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/13/19 06:42 PM

I need a good long lasting gas tank filler neck grommet for my 1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe, which company makes a good one help
I bought a new Spectra gas tank for the car and ended up trying to use a grommet I bought from year One years ago, it leaked and I order a new one from the company I bough the tank from. I installed it around two year ago and it is leaking now whiney
Any and all help on this is greatly appreciated, THANKS in advance up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? - 08/14/19 01:55 PM

timely question cab, as i need one for the new tank i bought for my charger.
i'll be watching this closely.
beer
Posted By: David1971

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? - 08/14/19 02:18 PM

Not a Coronet, but for my 1971 Barracuda, I bought a Mopar NOS grommet from Brad's NOS Parts for $30.00. I also bought a reproduction from Detroit Muscle Technologies for $10.00. Both made in USA. After I compared the two of them, I would not hesitate installing the repro on my new Spectra tank.

Both companies sell on Ebay.

David
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? - 08/14/19 10:04 PM

There's been some issues in the past with the repops where the melt once exposed to gasoline .

No idea if thats still the case or not
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? - 08/14/19 10:45 PM

I bought one from 521 Restorations about 4 years ago. No problems so far.

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? - 08/14/19 11:02 PM

Don't think you will have that problem with this one. It is made out of Buna-N / Nitrile rubber. Read the description. You can email Jim (the owner) and he will answer any questions you may have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-A-B-C-Body-64-74-Fuel-Gas-Tank-Filler-Neck-Tube-Rubber-Grommet-Seal-DMT/360963621791?hash=item540b1bc39f:g:wi4AAOSwDDxa2VwM:sc:USPSFirstClass!35243!US!-1
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? - 08/15/19 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by David1971
Don't think you will have that problem with this one. It is made out of Buna-N / Nitrile rubber. Read the description. You can email Jim (the owner) and he will answer any questions you may have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-A-B-C-Body-64-74-Fuel-Gas-Tank-Filler-Neck-Tube-Rubber-Grommet-Seal-DMT/360963621791?hash=item540b1bc39f:g:wi4AAOSwDDxa2VwM:sc:USPSFirstClass!35243!US!-1

Jim is also a member here. Or simply call him here https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? - 08/17/19 03:38 AM

Jim at Detroit Muscle Technologies is a long-time member here. Maybe he'll chime in. Funny, with all the leaks in my build, the tank is not one of them. I can't recall where I got my fill neck grommet.

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/24/19 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I need a good long lasting gas tank filler neck grommet for my 1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe, which company makes a good one help
I bought a new Spectra gas tank for the car and ended up trying to use a grommet I bought from year One years ago, it leaked and I order a new one from the company I bough the tank from. I installed it around two year ago and it is leaking now whiney
Any and all help on this is greatly appreciated, THANKS in advance up

I received a new gas tank filler grommet form Quantum yesterday, it isn't any different looking that the ones I've already used that failed whiney
I'm going to call Jim and ask him if his are better than this one or not work
I called a bunch of different vendors today looking for a premium one that will last longer than the ones I'vr bought and used so far, no luck DANG IT rant
Posted By: johntpr

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/24/19 02:27 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...ronet-gas-tank-problems.html#Post2200745

Get the Mopar OE part number 3404182 mentioned in above thread. It is longer and seals better.

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/24/19 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by johntpr
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...ronet-gas-tank-problems.html#Post2200745

Get the Mopar OE part number 3404182 mentioned in above thread. It is longer and seals better.

This ^

Regardless of who is selling the repops, ( And unless somethings changed since I was a retailer that Im not aware of.) They are all made by one vendor , thus all have same issues ( be it good or bad )

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/25/19 02:40 PM

in 2000, i bought a tank grommet from my local dealer, as it was still in the system.
is the above pn still dealer available ? or do i have to search for NOS ?
the old tank is still attached to the car, full of old 2006ish gas. wonder if the old [new in 2000] grommet is still usable ?
beer
Posted By: johntpr

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/25/19 03:14 PM

Any dealership can order or you get online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-OEM-MOPAR-FUEL-FILLER-NECK-GROMMET-DODGE-CHALLENGER-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA/362664730869?hash=item547080a0f5:g:h4EAAOSwp5Vc7wEd

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/26/19 02:18 PM

thank you john. great to know they are still available OEM. up i will definitely go this rout.
those things must have been used in a TON of vehicles up to pretty early in the fuel injection years. anyone know ?
beer

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 08/26/19 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
thank you john. great to know they are still available OEM. up i will definitely go this rout.
those things must have been used in a TON of vehicles up to pretty early in the fuel injection years. anyone know ?
beer

Not 100% sure, but I think the grommet was used on pretty much everything with a metal tank up till maybe mid 2000's

Ive used said grommet on 1966 cars thru early 70s cars with zero issues , regardless of original oem part number it called for

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/01/19 05:02 AM

I started to install the new grommet form Quantum and they sent me one mark for a 1963 to 1966 A body whiney shruggy
It does not look like it will work, the filler hole and O.D is smaller than the one I installed originally two years ago that is now leaking and it is smaller than any of the old ones I bought from Year One 15 yrs ago confused
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/01/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by johntpr
Any dealership can order or you get online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-OEM-MOPAR-FUEL-FILLER-NECK-GROMMET-DODGE-CHALLENGER-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA/362664730869?hash=item547080a0f5:g:h4EAAOSwp5Vc7wEd

That Ebay link is to a guy that has 239 NEGATIVES and doesnt even sell in the Mopar circles?!?! In fact the link above is to an Ebay listing that ended.

There are no brand new OEM grommets. There may be a few (damn few) NOS ones but who would want a 50 year old rubber part sealing their gas tank. Like driving on 50 year old tires.

Someone mentioned only one vendor selling the same grommet. Wrong. Everyone and their Asian brother make these now. I have personally tested tank grommets that became soft and swelled within hours when put in a can of gasoline. I could NOT sell this garbage. We have our own made in Akron Ohio, the rubber capital of the world. I spot test every shipment by soaking in gasoline because accidents could happen and the wrong material used.

The other one I see and hear about from customers are the rubber elbows used on fuel filler tubes on 66-67 Plymouths. I'm shocked we haven't heard of lawsuits yet.

Buy where you want but soak in gas before installing.

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/01/19 03:10 PM

how long of a gas soak do you recommend to see any adverse results ?
my local dealer says he can get them [3404182] but it would be five days out, which is no big deal.
are these reproductions as well, or super old stock ?
beer
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/02/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
how long of a gas soak do you recommend to see any adverse results ?
my local dealer says he can get them [3404182] but it would be five days out, which is no big deal.
are these reproductions as well, or super old stock ?
beer

You should see something within an hour

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/02/19 03:15 PM

thank you ! up
beer

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/02/19 03:46 PM

Be careful with the installation of the grommet. Don't let this happen! With Super Lube on the grommet and my fingers......it got away from me. I powered up my laptop computer and positioned it in the trunk of the car. Connected an endoscope to the USB port and fed the camera into the tank. The camera needs good lighting. So I had to insert a small 100 watt drop-light into the tank also. Used a coat hanger to snag the grommet. With the tank already mounted in the car, it took a lot of time to get the the coat hanger bent with the proper angle in order to make the snag. Plus, I did not want to disturb the position of the filter sock. What an ordeal....but I got it out safely!

Attached picture Tank.jpg

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/03/19 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by 71TA

There are no brand new OEM grommets. There may be a few (damn few) NOS ones but who would want a 50 year old rubber part sealing their gas tank. Like driving on 50 year old tires.

Someone mentioned only one vendor selling the same grommet. Wrong. Everyone and their Asian brother make these now.

Jim, these grommets were still avail thru Mopar till I know for a fact maybe 2 years ago when I needed one . They are NOT 50 years I can assure you. If I need one I will seek out and use them with out question for my own car before I use anyones repop .
If your having your own made, Kudos to you. I didnt know that.

Back when i sold them I had enough come back to bite me in the ars , I quit carrying them in short order . Just would recommend buying one from any local Mopar dealership near my customer
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/03/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 71TA
The other one I see and hear about from customers are the rubber elbows used on fuel filler tubes on 66-67 Plymouths. I'm shocked we haven't heard of lawsuits yet.

Oh great. Is there a source for quality 66-67 fuel elbows?

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/03/19 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I started to install the new grommet form Quantum and they sent me one mark for a 1963 to 1966 A body whiney shruggy
It does not look like it will work, the filler hole and O.D is smaller than the one I installed originally two years ago that is now leaking and it is smaller than any of the old ones I bought from Year One 15 yrs ago confused

I ended up reusing the original one that I bought with the new tank two years ago, evidently I had install the steel filler pipe to far into the new grommet on
the initial installation which allowed a gap to occur between the pipe and the grommet realcrazy I could see the open space and assumed that the grommet had stretched allowing the gap realcrazy
I filled it with gasoline two days ago and no leaks so far boogie
I will buy my new grommets from the source provided to me on here from this post from now on up
Thanks to all bow
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Gas tank filler grommet, who is good? Update - 09/04/19 11:44 AM

https://www.steelerubber.com/fuel-neck-grommet-70-3622-39
© 2024 Moparts Forums