Moparts

1970 Cuda gills

Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

1970 Cuda gills - 06/09/19 01:03 AM

Ok. I bought the paint from Frank Badalson. It matches perfect. Now someone had said or had written that the back side of each individual gill was painted black. I ask Frank and he said no.
However today at the Cullman Alabama show there was a 1970 that had hand painted black on the back side of each gill.

Does anybody know for sure? Sorry to say but the hand painted black area really looked bad. If that was your car can you explain why you did that to your gills. I would think if they did have a back shaded area that was black it had to of at least been sprayed.

I almost always take Franks word as gospel. Anybody have some facts about the finish on these gills.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 1970 Cuda gills - 06/09/19 01:45 AM

The 1970 Cuda rocker moldings?

If so, sprayed black from the tail end first, then sprayed with the silver from the front, so the black may have over spray around the edges, yet the black remains.

Easy to duplicate with the moldings standing on end, just swap ends when the black is dry.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: 1970 Cuda gills - 06/09/19 01:51 AM

Yes the rocker moldings. Thanks for the information. That is exactly what I read or heard.

So flat black or semi gloss black?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 1970 Cuda gills - 06/09/19 01:55 AM

The black on the back was all sprayed at the same time, not by hand individually, so maybe that is where the confusion came in?
Posted By: fastmark

Re: 1970 Cuda gills - 06/09/19 12:46 PM

All my oem Cudas had the black painted on back side as you call it. I have a set of NOS and they are not even painted.
© 2024 Moparts Forums