Moparts

Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting

Posted By: ply478

Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/27/19 10:52 PM

Zinc or other bright platting:

Looking to see if someone does or knows of a company that will do a small batch of bolts and hardware for a small project I have.
Not car related. (Motorcycle)

If you do this please contact me. Willing to pay for a good job. I can prep the bolts and hardware to your specs.

If you know of any company that does this. Let me know the name and location.

Help a brother out for a kewl project!

PLY 478
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/27/19 11:26 PM

I used this local plater for parts on my Duster restoration. They did a great job at a great price. Ubfortunately, There are a few miles between you and them.
https://www.klplating.com/
Posted By: topside

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/28/19 01:34 AM

Member 3404 (if I remember correctly) has done some small 1-car batches for me, great results, inexpensive, timely turnaround.
Not sure if he's still here or doing that, but I used him 3 times, last time was a few years back.
His name is Eric and I think he's in Ohio.

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/28/19 11:28 AM

Thank you. I sent 3404 a message.

PLY478
Posted By: burdar

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/28/19 03:40 PM

Key City Plating in Dubuque, IA

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/28/19 07:24 PM

Key City Plating in Dubuque, IA

Do you know that they do small batch work?

Do you have a contact name there?

Thanks
PLY478
Posted By: burdar

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/28/19 09:00 PM

They used to do small batches. They've done three batches for me. The last batch I had them do was was probably 4 years ago. You'll just have to call and ask. No special contact, I just called and talked to whoever answered the phone. They did all the fasteners for my Challenger and Dart. I also had them do my kickdown linkages, coil bracket exc.(same price as their standard barrel plating charge)

They were extremely reasonable on price. I stripped all my fasteners myself. I gave Key City perfectly clean parts to start with.

I initially had my Dart fasteners done at a place local to me.(Cedar Rapids) They were more expensive AND the silver zinc parts came out with a yellow tint. They said that their solution was different and that it would withstand a longer salt spray.(that's why the color was off) I didn't like the color so I had Key City run them through a second time.
Posted By: johntpr

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/28/19 09:58 PM

http://www.detailplating.com
Posted By: moparx

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/29/19 01:50 PM

this is a dumb question, but how does a guy keep the plating on fasteners looking good during normal use without the plating changing color, or coming off ?
is there a coating that can be applied, [using RPM as an example] ?
beer
Posted By: wylde8

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 05/29/19 05:17 PM

I went through this same dilemma about two years ago. Eventually I found a place here in St. Louis that does it. I've had them do two small batches for me and it all came out nice.

https://microfinishco.com/
Posted By: Neil

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/04/19 03:30 PM

Anyone had any luck reaching Eric (3404)?
Posted By: 493 70 Runner

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/08/19 01:34 AM

Dynamic Renovation

Dynamic Renovation
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/08/19 01:59 PM

Call a couple local plating companies. One by me says they'll just throw a small batch in (no charge) to help a car guy.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/09/19 01:06 AM

I always encourage folks to get started with doing their own plating, once set up it’s really not that difficult. I decided to give it a try several years ago and have no regrets. We’ve all been ready to put an assembly together only to discover you are either missing a fastener or have forgotten to have it plated. It also gives the flexibility to change fasteners at will when you find out you have a finish incorrect
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/09/19 04:48 PM

I bought a large plating system a few years ago and just recently got it up and running. doing zinc base coat with chromium top coats (yellow black and blue/clear) i am lucky as i have all the tools in the toy box to clean and prep but its still a ton of work and very time consuming. I thought about it to add to my business but its just too much work for the return. talking to a bike guy locally he just paid $8 per bolt that he had refinished so i think the resto world vs the industrial world has very different pricing (and quality?) i am still learning so wont give up on it yet.

Attached picture horn.jpg
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/09/19 10:12 PM

Nice results, particularly when considering you’ve just started. Not trying to highjack the thread so I’ll send a pm with more info.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/10/19 02:44 PM

Eric Manual (3404) is a very good friend of mine, he is local and has done all my plating for years. He is a huge MOPAR guy, he hand does all my fasteners, latches and anything else I have him do. He was one of the original platter's for the MOPAR hobby for years, now he's all grow up and runs the plating company he's been at for years. He does all the side jobs after hours on his own time. Here is the company he runs www.elyriaplating.com, ask for Eric (Da man).
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Help needed / wanted. Hardware Platting - 09/10/19 03:23 PM

I have used this shop for years. He does excellent work and has never lost a single bolt, nut, or screw. Turn around time is very reasonable too. http://detailplating.com/
© 2024 Moparts Forums