Moparts

Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas?

Posted By: HemiChallenger

Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas? - 03/18/09 10:13 AM

I have one break on my fiberglass insert for my super bee, its at the area where the studs stick out. what would be the best way to repair it?

I was thinking maybe form a mold off the others and use the mold to make one stud like thing. Then glass it on? What do you guys think?

What fiberglass kits would be good for this?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas? - 03/18/09 03:36 PM

I'd use an epoxy like used for bonding panels or useD to repair bumpers/plastic parts.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas? - 03/18/09 09:12 PM

The 3-M plastic reapir kit i used was realy thin. You are saying that you want to make a clay mold out of play doh or something?
It would be thin and go right into the mold,it would work great to cast a new stud.
Guess cast one and sand it with #80 on both the stud and the part then use more of it as glue to attach the new stud.

Says 3-M auto mix 5883 plastic repair Ez Sand use to repair SMC/Fiberglass reinforced plastics and other ridgid plastics Filler and adheasive work time 10 min. sand time 30 min. cure time 4 hours.
I used it to fix some cracks in the 95 ram 2500 dash and it stuck well. But was thin and tended to run since I was doing something that was verticle
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas? - 03/20/09 04:35 PM

I used the same to repair a plastic bumper cover on a car, but was only 50 degrees in the shop that day, so it was pretty thick. It was thicker than polyester putty and didn't run at all.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas? - 03/20/09 07:03 PM

Quote:

I used the same to repair a plastic bumper cover on a car, but was only 50 degrees in the shop that day, so it was pretty thick. It was thicker than polyester putty and didn't run at all.

Did you use the felxable plasic for bummpers are the one I listed above for hard plasics?
They make more than one type
We used to use the flexable repair from Worth{sp?}
It has a cup with the 2 parts already in it you pushed the center up and them mixed with a stick.
It was the best flexable I had used, but no longer have a local vendor for it
Posted By: HemiChallenger

Re: Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas? - 03/24/09 10:07 PM

I'm going to wing it on this mold idea and then go from there. If you guys are interested ill have the proccess and pics on my forum. Just click my sig pic...

Steve
Posted By: 72bebeep

Re: Making fiberglass repairs to studded areas? - 03/25/09 07:11 PM

Good Luck Steve,same repair needed on my
airgrabber bubble(x3).
Can't wait for your results.
Brad
© 2024 Moparts Forums