Moparts

68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation

Posted By: 68rrunner

68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/23/19 01:56 PM

Putting my Road Runner back together after paint. Got to the trunk trim panel and I would assume there should be gaskets that go between the body and the panel? Can't seem to find anything doing some general web searching.
Thanks for any help!
Posted By: topside

Re: 68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/23/19 02:34 PM

Do you mean the exterior Decor Package trim panel?
Mine didn't have any gaskets, only a little strip caulk around the fasteners.
Also should mention a common error is to have the red area color too light; should be more of a maroon.
Kind of matches the shade of the unlit tail lamps.
My Decor Group '68 I'm using for reference was an original car, untouched original everything.
Posted By: A12

Re: 68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/23/19 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Do you mean the exterior Decor Package trim panel?
Mine didn't have any gaskets, only a little strip caulk around the fasteners.
Also should mention a common error is to have the red area color too light; should be more of a maroon.
Kind of matches the shade of the unlit tail lamps.
My Decor Group '68 I'm using for reference was an original car, untouched original everything.

Same here with my '68's trunk "finish panel" nothing but some white caulk as I think a sort of thread lock for the stud nuts IIRC. Also totally agree with the maroon/dark red color for the finish panel. I'm still mad about how some "pro" restored it after talking, sending emails, photos of 3 original finish panels and putting notes in with the panel that I sent it to him. It came back lighter maroon than I requested and to top it off he could see right away when he got it that it was DARK MAROON and almost an exact match to the tail lights mad

Attached picture DSC06614rsss.jpg
Attached picture DSC02498CP1aaa.jpg
Posted By: Kowal

Re: 68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/23/19 08:32 PM

Similar panel on my old 68 GTX, no gasket. Same for 69 with the smaller piece for that matter

Re: 68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/23/19 08:58 PM

Went through a few photos and realized there are fiber or felt like washers on the studs between the finish panel and the trunk lid like these.

Attached picture DSC06652x.jpg
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: 68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/23/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Went through a few photos and realized there are fiber or felt like washers on the studs between the finish panel and the trunk lid like these.

Mine had the same washers. More like a flattened foam similar to some of the other body gaskets.

Re: 68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/23/19 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunner
Originally Posted by A12

Mine had the same washers. More like a flattened foam similar to some of the other body gaskets.

Thanks you're right they are foam like and you could probably make them from sheet foam that is used for most electronic packaging currently. If you've ever seen the foam that is used on or between the front brake backing plates and the spindles it's very similar or the same?
Posted By: topside

Re: 68 Road Runner Trunk Trim Panel Installation - 03/24/19 03:13 AM

Oops, I forgot about the foam seals on the panel.
© 2024 Moparts Forums