Moparts

A-body console carpet pics

Posted By: njmopar

A-body console carpet pics - 12/17/18 05:55 PM

Hello -

Does anyone have a photo of the carpet surround around the console mounted on the car? This is for a 68 Dart.
I have the carpet piece premade/cut, but to me it looks tall. Would drape down the hump pretty far. I did not have on my car to compare.

Also, grommet or no grommet for the hi-beam switch? I am seeing no traces of any grommet ring on my old carpet, so I am assuming no.

Thanks.
Posted By: gts340swinger

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/18/18 04:59 AM

You should have the grommet on your high beam switch. It is just a piece of plastic that the carpet slips inside the edge so it probably wouldn't leave much of a mark.
As for the carpet panels, I will see is I can get some pictures. From memory, the panels do hang down past the console to seal up the gap.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/18/18 06:24 PM

I'm on the other side of the high beam switch grommet debate and I say no grommets were installed from the factory.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/18/18 10:17 PM

No grommets installed from the factory. I have pictures of the carpet around consoles but not here at work, I will post some when I get home. wave

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/20/18 02:55 AM

Just a reminder Rhino smile
Hoping to make a weekend project.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/20/18 09:03 AM

This is factory console carpet from a '69 Barracuda M4. The driver side hangs down farther than the passenger side.

Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet1.L front.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet2.L middle.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet3.L rear.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet4.rear view.Carpet much longer on L side..jpg

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/20/18 09:11 AM

Next two show backside of driver side. What looks like a tear behind the hand is apparently the way the factory made it.

Last one is entire console carpet laid flat. Driver side is away from the camera; passenger side is closest.

Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet16.L rear.what looks like torn edge left center is apparently original.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet17.L rear long folded edge.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet28.front of R side in foreground.jpg

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/20/18 02:36 PM

That looks exactly like the pictures I was going to post last night, oops... realcrazy

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/20/18 02:42 PM

Very cool. From those I can get good dimensions. Interesting how it tapers lower to the back.
I wonder if the auto carpet has the same slot/cut behind where the smaller bump would be? The repro piece I have does not have the slot. I think it is more of a universal one for auto or manual.
Thanks!
Posted By: superbee69

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/20/18 09:26 PM

Where can you get the molded hump for the carpet to glue to on the left hand side?

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/21/18 04:01 AM

You can't get the molded cardboard piece. Someone used to make a fiberglass replica and sold them on eBay, but that was years ago and I haven't seen them for years. shruggy

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/21/18 04:36 AM

Photos of the molded hump. The front half is laminated paper, about 10-12 layers or more, maybe with varnish on it? The rear is just glue on the back of stretched/shaped carpet.

Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet12.L middle fiberboard fastener.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet13.L middle folded edge.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet14.L middle fastener 2.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet15.middle fastener 3.jpg

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/21/18 04:47 AM

More.

Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet36.L middle shaped area.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet37.closeup of glue for stiffening.jpg
Attached picture 21-17 Console.carpet38.closeup of paper layers in fiberboard.jpg
Posted By: superbee69

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/21/18 04:33 PM

Need 2 of them someone needs to reproduce them again.why would they stop?ug!

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/21/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By kentj340
This is factory console carpet from a '69 Barracuda M4. The driver side hangs down farther than the passenger side.

Is that the original color of your console or has it been resprayed?
I can't tell it its blue or green in color...

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/22/18 08:42 AM

That's the factory original paint, Bayou Green Metallic Low Gloss, according to the FSM.

Car is ready soon to go to paint shop, and the console is just about the only thing that doesn't need repaint.

I might make molded humps for sale later, but not now - I'm building my climate controlled Mopar man cave.

Attached picture 23 Body in white.on rollers.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0501r.jpg

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/22/18 02:39 PM

Gratuitous shot of three 4-speed consoles and another pic of the carboard laminated cover thingy... penguin

Attached picture 69 blue 4 speed console 025.JPG
Attached picture 101_1717.JPG

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/22/18 03:50 PM

Almost looks like beef jerky is the last photo. Lol.
Posted By: moparx

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/22/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By njmopar
Almost looks like beef jerky is the last photo. Lol.

NAAA, it's BACON ! biggrin drool
beer

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/23/18 04:43 PM

Black carpet vs Colored carpet debate when the car has a 4 speed and a colored "non-black interior"
4 speed without the console option, the rule seems to be black carpets on all interiors, but...
When a 4 speed is ordered with the console option and the interior is not black then the console color will match the interior color?
Does this sound right?

Attached picture 100_5144.JPG

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/31/18 08:27 PM

Wanted to close the loop on this one. So there is a difference between auto and manual carpets. For some reason the auto one is really long on the drivers side, which was what was making me question. All the repro sites I could find showed this way.
I could not find any photos from my interior at a good angle, but I did find an old video that I converted to mpeg when I scanned over the entire car when I got it. Sure enough if you look around the console you can see a "dirt line" where the carpet surround was. The dirt did a good job of tracing the outline.

Description: video capture of old console
Attached picture vlcsnap-2018-12-31-13h15m49s528.png

Re: A-body console carpet pics - 12/31/18 08:28 PM

I then added some photos of my completed interior which I FINALLY wrapped up this past weekend. Had a rare sunny day in NJ with no rain, so was able to back out of the garage for once.
The only issue I have is the console carpet I bought recently and it differs in texture and sheen from the carpet I bought back in 2002 from ACC. The ACC carpet feels more like the carpet that came out of the car.

Description: 1
Attached picture IMG_0622s.jpg

Description: 2
Attached picture IMG_0630s.jpg

Description: 3
Attached picture IMG_0633s.jpg

Description: 4
Attached picture IMG_0654s.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums