Moparts

manual steering box.... lube or oil ?

Posted By: buzz440

manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 10/31/18 04:59 AM

Hi, all...... I purchased a rebuilt steering box awhile ago and it came filled with grease ? is this normal, I know grease on gears is a good thing plus the fact the travel turn - to - turn is short but wouldn't it be easier to turn with gear oil instead ? I have the gear box installed on the car and when I grab a front wheel and turn it side to side it seams a little rough & tight. Please let me know what you guys think.

Later, BUZZ
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 10/31/18 05:07 AM

Rick Ehrenberg from Mopar Action magazine once wrote that the lube is supposed to be a thick grease for most applications but 140 wt gear oil may be used in cold climates.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 10/31/18 11:30 AM

Corn head grease. Get it a farm supply store.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 10/31/18 07:18 PM

It should be tight when turning at the wheels. And the gearbox should have a tight spot at the straight ahead position. A rebuilt box should not be as loose as a 50 year old used box.

Run it as-is.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 11/01/18 01:27 AM

my service manual says 90wt gear lube.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 11/01/18 03:04 AM

I ended up using CV joint grease as was recommended in another thread. It is thin enough to be carried up into the key areas to lubricate and clings to the gears. Does not thin out too much with heat. It is also easy to load into the box as it comes in a squeeze tube.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 11/01/18 06:12 PM

If you're undecided between oil and grease, there's 600W oil...kinda in between grease and oil.
Posted By: ct440rod

Re: manual steering box.... lube or oil ? - 11/01/18 10:51 PM

They make a lot of light weight greases
© 2024 Moparts Forums