Moparts

clear coating over vinyl graphics?

Posted By: cjs69mope

clear coating over vinyl graphics? - 10/19/18 07:02 PM

Wondering if it can be done or is this a no no?
69 super bee would like to clear over tail stripe.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: clear coating over vinyl graphics? - 10/19/18 07:47 PM

There a V code 71 Challenger R/T that is out here that had this done.

Personally I think it looks terrible, but it can be done
Posted By: Neil

Re: clear coating over vinyl graphics? - 10/19/18 08:58 PM

May be better to mask the stripe and paint in on instead. Vinyl may shrink over time would be my concern.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: clear coating over vinyl graphics? - 10/20/18 01:31 AM

On my old Yamaha Enduro gas tank, I had vinyl letters cut, put them on over the base coat and then cleared over them. Been 7 or 8 years now and they look good, no problems.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: clear coating over vinyl graphics? - 10/20/18 02:16 AM

I had a car that had it done before I got it... it was like that for years before I got it. Clear will protect it from the sun, uv rays etc. It's not something I personally will do, but no reason it won't work. One thing is spraying enough clear to where you can wetsand/buff it smooth if that's the plan. If it's an original stripe I want to keep, then I mask it.
Posted By: bronze69

Re: clear coating over vinyl graphics? - 10/20/18 04:13 AM

I have painted several pulling tractors, and have done this many times. I have even sprayed clear coat over a partial vinyl wrap. I have not had any issues with any of them. At first I would put the decal directly over the base coat, then clear coat it. But on the last few due to the small margin for error, when there is no clear coat, I have been spraying a couple coats of clear, then wet sanding with 1500, before the decal. Then spray a couple more coats of clear, then cut and buff.
The other problem with putting decals directly over the base, without clear, is if there is a dust particle in the base, the decal may have a bump in it that will possibly get sanded through when cutting and buffing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums