Moparts

need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only?

Posted By: copperSwinger

need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/14/18 06:36 PM

I once heard that in 68 the 4 speed a-bodies could only have black carpeting. Can someone please confirm this?

Curious about a fastback barracuda with carpeted wheelhouses (deluxe interior). If the car was coded for gold interior would the wheelhouses be black if the car was 4spd?

thanks
Posted By: burdar

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/14/18 09:52 PM

Good question. I know the black carpet on 4-speeds has been discussed before. I remember people talking about B-bodies though. I looked on Hamtramck-Historical and found this...

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1968/52.jpg

It says Belvedere/Satellite with 4-speed have black carpet but it doesn't say that under Barracuda.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/14/18 11:50 PM

That’s a b-body deal.

Rear carpet will match front in color.
Posted By: rarefish

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/15/18 04:06 PM

The black carpet 4 speed thing is a mystery that I have been following lately.
My 69 4 speed Dart has a blue interior with factory installed black carpets.
I had thought it was a factory mistake, but have been told by others that the black carpet is correct with the 4 speed.
Since then I have seen some other 4 speed cars with colored interiors and black carpets. Both A and B-Bodies and I believe that I also seen a E-Body that way.

Not a lot of cars today still have their factory installed carpet sets. I assume that when a carpet set is replaced that most people are buying one that matches the interior color.

Attached picture 100_5202.JPG
Posted By: cbusters

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/15/18 06:42 PM

I understand that the "4 speed" and "black carpet" was a standard for 69 RR Coupes. I didn't research any other years.
Posted By: topside

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/15/18 07:08 PM

4-speed & black carpet is 68-69 RR coupe & HT, owned originals of both, in base & Decor Group trim levels. May also be a 70 deal.
Higher trim levels - above Satellite/Decor Group - may have had colored carpet, according to some guys with GTXs.
As for the A-bodies I can't say, but Chrysler's philosophy was always biased towards reducing expenses, so if they could save a few cents per car, that seems to have been the mantra.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/16/18 12:58 AM

My buddy had a 68 GTS white, white vinyl top, white interior, but I can't remember what color the carpet was. I must have ridden in the car a hundred times, 50 years ago. I keep thinking a gold-beige color. He traded for a 69, mistake of the century, a real DOG.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/16/18 07:28 AM

the BLACK 4-speed carpet dilemma stems from the "concept" of the '68 Road Runner & '69 340 Swinger (bench seat cars that had a 4-speed STANDARD)

the cars they were based on had STANDARD rubber floor mats & there was NO rubber floor mat for a 4-speed hump - so, 4-speed cars received BLACK carpet.

by the time the '68 Road Runner reached production carpet was STANDARD for all.

the '69 340 Swinger 4-speed had carpet, with an automatic carpet was OPTIONAL $$ (for '70 the a-body got 4-speed rubber floor mats)

I've seen a number of original '68-'70 Road Runners & Super Bees with colored interiors (bench & bucket) with 4-speeds & BLACK carpet

I've never seen an original Charger R/T, Coronet R/T or GTX with colored interior, 4-speed and black carpet (do they exist?)

I've never seen an original console equipped colored interior 1968-'70 B-body w/4-speed and black carpet
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: need clarification: 68 4 speed a-bodies black carpet only? - 08/16/18 07:31 AM

to the OP, colored carpet with colored interior on a '68 Barracuda
© 2024 Moparts Forums