Moparts

OE Assy Line Battery Cables

Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 01:53 PM

Can someone post some pictures of correct assy line positive and negative battery cables? (70-1 E Body small block) I thought I remember reading that assy line cables had some head markings different from "correct" repops and also had a spine on the main cables? Thanks for any education!!
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 02:19 PM

best I can remember the difference was the color of the cable coating varied slightly

Sorry, dont have any pics
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 03:15 PM

This is from one of Frank Badalson's articles when he was writing tech for MCG years ago, he said the cables on the left(being sold by MP or other vendors at the time as correct) were most definately incorrect. The one's on the right respectively were correct.

Attached picture IMG_3228.JPG
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 06:05 PM

Also the small cable was a different shade of red the the main cable. As a note, assy. line batteries had marking that the repos don't.
Posted By: cudaize

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 08:25 PM

Here's a picture of what I am led to believe is a production line syle negative cable.

Attached picture $(KGrHqJHJE8FGTrL-MCdBRpBT!jEsw~~60_12.jpg
Attached picture $(KGrHqFHJFQFGMPtu+-)BRpBTBkMVg~~60_12.jpg
Attached picture $T2eC16JHJGkFFm2!cfLuBRpBS+Rj(g~~60_12.jpg

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 08:28 PM

Here's a big block positive. As you can see the red's are a little different color. I'd say there was a chance that some of the originals were the same color but most that I have seen are different now. Not sure if they started that way or aged differently over 40-50 years.

Attached picture r.jpg
Attached picture e.jpg
Attached picture $_57.jpg

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 08:36 PM

Here are some pictures of an original from one of my 71 barracuda small block cars.

Attached picture 20180727_143118_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20180727_143124_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20180727_143133_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20180727_143146_resized.jpg
Posted By: 70plymA34

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/27/18 09:07 PM

i asked the same question a few weeks ago, no one answered. guess your a heavy hitter here jim. LOL...

either way, outstanding reference pics, this is exactly what i was looking for. thank you to all posters.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/28/18 12:35 AM

Here is an NOS 68 A-body positive cable I had a few years back.
Two different colors as stated plus this had the part number 2770622 scripted...I dont know if assembly line cable had the part number scripted on them.

Attached picture batterycable1.jpg
Posted By: mccannix

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/28/18 12:42 AM

Here is a 67 B-body positive cable I currently have that has the scripted number as well.
Also pics of ends

Attached picture gtxcable2.JPG
Attached picture gtxcable1.JPG
Attached picture gtxcable4.JPG
Attached picture gtxcable3.JPG
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/28/18 03:56 PM

sorry Mike!😁
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: OE Assy Line Battery Cables - 07/30/18 01:55 AM

Some of the reproduction cables are really close. As you can see by the pic provided originals cables have a lot of details! Two different reds on the cables, green secondary wire, tag near the starter lugs, etc.
A dead give away to an original cable is the larger primary wire is a flat red color and softer insulating material than reproductions, which are shiny and hard.
On the negative reproduction cables the black insulation is a fraction thicker than originals which are around .255” overall. There is no negative cabling available that matches the originals due to dot regulations.
The only reason I know that is because I worked with the company that produces the nicest cables out there and provided them all the nos/ production samples.
© 2024 Moparts Forums