Moparts

Paint work on a Survivor?

Posted By: formula_s

Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/05/18 03:06 AM

There is a small area on the lower 1/4 on my survivor Demon that needs to be painted. I've taken it to 3 shops and one wants to use Chroma Base and one wants to use base coat/clear. The color is Y8. Would using a 2 stage give the affected area too much shine/gloss and not match the patina of the 47 year old paint? The paint on the car is in beautiful condition otherwise.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/05/18 03:34 AM

Y8 gold would be hard to match. Would probably require blending and clearing IMO, for a respectable repair. Most metallics would need a BC/CC system anyways, compared to a solid color.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/05/18 04:30 AM

You need to find a different shop. Contact Frank Badelson, he can give you some pointers, he does similar repairs.
Posted By: demon

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/05/18 04:39 AM

whatever you do. DO NOT buy your paint from TCP GLOBAL!
Absolutely the worst post sale customer service. The worst.
Posted By: topside

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/05/18 05:29 AM

Backtape off the lower contour, blend up but not to it, polish back the blend. Color match will be critical and probably not easy. Pigments & chemicals are different now, but toners & metallic can be adjusted to get it right. It'll be time-consuming, and production-shop painters won't be interested, but there's the occasional painter who can appreciate the task and the challenge. A BC/CC can be applied to match the OEM texture, but they generally have more depth to the finish; might not be an issue on a lower quarter if you can't for some reason use a single-stage.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/05/18 02:34 PM

Y8 will be a challenge but not impossible to do with a single stage. Keep in mind the best job will still leave a ghost line in a metallic repair. The trick is to minimize it. The right amount of thinning and expanding work area in steps and blending agents can be successful.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/05/18 04:59 PM

I ran across similar problem with my 76 Road Runner (orange - can't recall the right name) . . . most of the body shops around here wanted to repaint the whole panel, not just do a blend and such . . . gotta find someone old school (i.e. "experienced", vintage ?) that will take the time and has the knowledge . . . good luck !
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/06/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By formula_s
There is a small area on the lower 1/4 on my survivor Demon that needs to be painted. I've taken it to 3 shops and one wants to use Chroma Base and one wants to use base coat/clear. The color is Y8. Would using a 2 stage give the affected area too much shine/gloss and not match the patina of the 47 year old paint? The paint on the car is in beautiful condition otherwise.

Boy, this question sure hits home. I dealing with pretty much the same issue on my survivor 1969 Dart that is B7 blue. The drivers 1/4 panel was replaced when the car was 3 months old due to an accident. It was painted with lacquer and that paint is now shot. I was counting on a local shop that was run by some old timers to repaint the 1/4, but I just found out that they have closed up and are retiring.
Posted By: cdp

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/06/18 05:22 PM

Rarefish, you might try and contact the retirees anyway and see if they know someone else "old school" and reliable.
Posted By: Little Detroit

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/06/18 05:25 PM

in most cases an offer of more money will delay retirement, remember cash is king.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/06/18 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By Little Detroit
in most cases an offer of more money will delay retirement, remember cash is king.

I agree, and if its only a quarter panel plus blend they may be interested in it, the only problem is your warranty (if one) retires with them
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/06/18 06:50 PM

These guys are all hitting home on this one. Many paints are no longer legal to buy/use (e.g. lead pigments or paints with tons of solvent).

Even if the paint "looks good" there has been "some" fading + every batch of paint (even back in 60's/70's) varied in color just a touch batch-to-batch.

Bottom line... it should be custom color matched. You can get test panels sprayed up (with an appropriate primer as close as possible to the original primer on the car) & blend several small batches to get the customer blend really, really close. Then, have someone who does custom paint work or an auto-restoration shop spray it, blending in the repair, as these guys have mentioned. That's the best you can do.
Posted By: Govierjr.

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/06/18 08:46 PM

If possible locate the local paint supplier to the body shops in that area and see if they have access to camera that can analyze paint color on car and get a match that way.

the paint supplier's sales people should know who the painters in that area are that know what they are doing and willing to work in conjunction with you and the paint supplier to get the repair done.

I agree with the above keeping it small as possible. I assume repair area is below horizontal body line below marker lamp? Side stripes or no side stripes?
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/10/18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By Govierjr.
If possible locate the local paint supplier to the body shops in that area and see if they have access to camera that can analyze paint color on car and get a match that way.

the paint supplier's sales people should know who the painters in that area are that know what they are doing and willing to work in conjunction with you and the paint supplier to get the repair done.

I agree with the above keeping it small as possible. I assume repair area is below horizontal body line below marker lamp? Side stripes or no side stripes?

Any good shop should have the camera and their own mixing system.
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/11/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By AdamR
[quote=Govierjr.]If possible locate the local paint supplier to the body shops in that area and see if they have access to camera that can analyze paint color on car and get a match that way.

Yes the area is right below the body line below the side marker light so that would be obvious area to break the new paint. Oddly , the paint scan matches to 2002 Lotus Mars Gold.

Posted By: topside

Re: Paint work on a Survivor? - 06/11/18 03:44 AM

There are so many colors that it's possible to start with a close later color that can be tinted to get right. Also, any shop with a mixing bank should have different metallics to get the size right. Main thing is to find a painter who's motivated to get the tint, face (match when viewed straight on) & side cast (viewed at angles) right. That can be an issue on metallics. Some painters are good applicators but don't have an interest or ability to solve problems. Some don't appear to understand light, and some only like slam-bang production paychecks. Generally, a good paint jobber can give you an idea who the most talented painters are, because they should be dealing with their customers on at least a monthly basis.
© 2024 Moparts Forums