Moparts

What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings?

Posted By: Dixie

What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings? - 05/27/18 04:25 PM

Hey Guys,

I need to get my rocker moldings anodized for my '69 Charger. Does anyone know what type of anodizing was used and percentage of brightness?

I think I read somewhere they were clear anodizing with 20% brightness. I would appreciate any info on the subject.

I recently had mine polished and straightened and found two shops in Atlanta that can anodize.

Thanks!!
Randy
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings? - 05/27/18 04:33 PM

I thought the process on exterior bright aluminum was called “Brite-Dip”

Different than anodizing
Posted By: Dixie

Re: What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings? - 05/27/18 05:03 PM

I think Brite-dip is a form of anodizing, but I'm not sure. Would appreciate any clarification.
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings? - 05/27/18 11:29 PM

If I understand it correctly the brite dip is a process to create the smooth surface and shine then the part would be dipped in the anodizing solution
Posted By: kentj340

Re: What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings? - 05/28/18 10:05 AM

All the rocker moldings on cars I've ever owned (not any Chargers) were much harder polished stainless steel, not aluminum, because of potential rock damage. Aggressive polishing or compounding of anodized aluminum trim will remove the anodizing, and the finish will turn dull after a short while.

Are you sure yours is aluminum?

"Bright Dip Anodized Aluminum Trim" is a term used by an expert restorer, now retired, at http://www.alltrim.com/index.html.

This is a finish on only stamped aluminum sheet products. AFAIK bright is bright, and there is no choice of brightness. But you can discuss this with a competent restorer.

Every month's issue of Hemmings Motor News has several classified ads for small batch restoration of bright dip anodized aluminum trim.

Photo is an example of restored bright dip anodized aluminum trim. Not stainless steel.

Attached picture 23-26.Body Sheet Metal.tail panel1.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings? - 05/28/18 02:06 PM

Anodizing was used on all exterior aluminum trim to protect the finish.If you polish exterior aluminum trim you can make it shine like stainless but eventually the finish will start to cloud and turn dull.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: What type of anodizing is on '69 Charger rocker moldings? - 05/28/18 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By kentj340
All the rocker moldings on cars I've ever owned (not any Chargers) were much harder polished stainless steel, not aluminum, because of potential rock damage. Aggressive polishing or compounding of anodized aluminum trim will remove the anodizing, and the finish will turn dull after a short while.

Are you sure yours is aluminum?

"Bright Dip Anodized Aluminum Trim" is a term used by an expert restorer, now retired, at http://www.alltrim.com/index.html.

This is a finish on only stamped aluminum sheet products. AFAIK bright is bright, and there is no choice of brightness. But you can discuss this with a competent restorer.

Every month's issue of Hemmings Motor News has several classified ads for small batch restoration of bright dip anodized aluminum trim.

Photo is an example of restored bright dip anodized aluminum trim. Not stainless steel.

Most 68-74 era A/B/E body rocker moldings were aluminum. Can’t think of one that was stainless, but there might be. stainless might be more prevalent on 67 an earlier cars or more expensive C-bodies.
© 2024 Moparts Forums