Moparts

Fan Belt Ideas

Posted By: bill440rt

Fan Belt Ideas - 04/13/18 06:43 PM

Hey guys, looking for some ideas on fan/drive belts.
Looking for belts for my ‘68 Charger that are smooth like the originals, most aftermarket belts I’m seeing out there are serrated. I don’t necessarily need them with the original stampings like the ones Quanta offers, just that they have an overall original look.
Anybody still making belts like that?
Thanks!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/13/18 09:56 PM

I hate those cogged/toothed belts that EVERY parts store has, plus they like to roll over or jump at HIGH RPM runs... you need to find an Industrial/Commercial parts store that carries Bando belts for a full "smooth" V belt, as well as matched full "smooth" V belts if needed for AC

Mike
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/13/18 11:28 PM

Your talking about the top surface of the belt correct? I was buying mopar belts because of that. I don`t know if the dealer even has them available anymore. There are some mopar v belts on ebay. What size do you need? I had a couple new ones but I think they were power steering belt sizes.

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/13/18 11:33 PM

Like this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-ACCESSORY-DRIVE-BELT-JEEP-WRANGLER-NEW-OEM-B0017465/253549383137

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/14/18 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
Your talking about the top surface of the belt correct? I was buying mopar belts because of that. I don`t know if the dealer even has them available anymore. There are some mopar v belts on ebay. What size do you need? I had a couple new ones but I think they were power steering belt sizes.

Yes, belts that are smooth on top, with a smooth V groove as well. All of the parts store ones I’m seeing are serrated or ribbed on the bottom.
I used to buy those Mopar ones, I don’t think they are carried anymore.
This is for a ‘68 Charger I’m doing an A/C conversion on, using factory pulleys.
If you even know the part#’s I can either search or do a cross reference on them or something.

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/14/18 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
I hate those cogged/toothed belts that EVERY parts store has, plus they like to roll over or jump at HIGH RPM runs... you need to find an Industrial/Commercial parts store that carries Bando belts for a full "smooth" V belt, as well as matched full "smooth" V belts if needed for AC

Mike

Thanks, Mike!
I’ll look into Bando as well.
Posted By: steve70

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/14/18 12:38 PM

I was able to get smooth belts at NAPPA. I used a little lacquer thinner on a rag to remove the NAPPA stamp on the outside of the belt.
Posted By: Moondog

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/14/18 08:00 PM

I got mine from Quanta Products at gastanks.com even had date coded with Mopar Logo.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/14/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By Moondog
I got mine from Quanta Products at gastanks.com even had date coded with Mopar Logo.

Any issues with the Quanta belts, I "heard" a few guys claim they jump or roll over along along with slipping/glazing (high speed squeal)

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/15/18 03:26 AM

I had a set of Quanta’s on my ‘70, for at least 15 years maybe a little more (440 w/AC). I only replaced them due to age, visually they were ok.
I do have a friend that didn’t have any luck with them, if memory serves right they broke at highway speed.

For this particular car I really don’t need date codes and stuff, I’d just prefer they have an original look. If I can’t find smooth V belts I’ll either get a set of ribbed ones (flat on top surface), or hunker down for a set of Quanta’s.
Posted By: steve70

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/15/18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Moondog

Any issues with the Quanta belts, I "heard" a few guys claim they jump or roll over along along with slipping/glazing (high speed squeal)

My Quanta belt would at least roll and a few times jumped the pulleys if I dumped the clutch. I've never had that issue with my NAPPA belt.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/15/18 04:48 PM

I used the Quanta belts when I did my former 340 Challenger.
I couldnt keep them tight.
Posted By: KWF340

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/15/18 08:21 PM

I had the Quanta belts on my Charger, and they kept rolling. Got tired of dealing with them and went to the newer style belts - no more problems.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/15/18 08:32 PM

I thought some of the Dayco belts (any parts store, usually the cheaper ones) were smooth?
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/16/18 01:25 AM

I went to my local implement store in Ephrata PA. They have tons non-cogged belts for use on farm implements. They matched up the size off of my originals. The price was very reasonable. Can't tell you about durability because my car isn't on the road.

http://www.carlislebelts.com/

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/16/18 01:47 AM

I was having squealing issues with aftermarket belts on some brands. I compared the original mopar belt to the aftermarket "fits all belt". I have noticed that most of the aftermarket belts are slightly smaller width and sit down in the pulley a little farther. That was why I always seeked out mopar belts.
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/22/18 03:16 PM

Still available from most dodge dealerships..I have 3 sets for my 70 AC car.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/22/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By 70RR383
Still available from most dodge dealerships..I have 3 sets for my 70 AC car.

Yes your correct but by me I had to go to dealer after doing the research and have him locate who had the belts for me to call and order. Local dealer didn't want anything to do with ordering for me.
Ron
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/22/18 09:02 PM

Got any part numbers?
Posted By: Purestocker

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/22/18 09:06 PM

Go to NAPA and ask for the inexpensive belt and it will be smooth.
Posted By: Purestocker

Re: Fan Belt Ideas - 04/22/18 09:32 PM

I can’t keep a quanta belt on any car that you rev over 5k, the cheep Napa belts stay on fine up to 6500 RPM, buy a spare as they are fairly cheep
© 2024 Moparts Forums