Moparts

74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning

Posted By: 71vert340

74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 03/31/18 09:47 PM

I've reinstalled the wiring harnesses in my 74 Charger. I checked all the wiring, the connections, etc. I'm ready to plug all the engine side plugs into the bulkhead connector box and all the steering column connections under the dash. What would you recommend cleaning and lubricating the plug connections with? What will not be affected by the engine heat in the engine compartment? Is electrical contact cleaner the best to use to remove grease and oil from the plugs or would the computer /electronics cleaner work best? I'm open for suggestions. Anyone use the dielectric grease? Thanks for any informational help with this in advance.
Terry
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/01/18 01:44 AM

Deoxit 5, you can find it on ebay.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/01/18 03:55 AM

Yes,dielectric grease would work well to keep moisture out of a clean connection... Take precautions, the caustic chemicals/residue in any electronics cleaner wouldn't be good on the body components..

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/01/18 05:30 PM

Looking at the plugs, I don't see corrosion as much as I see little globs of old grease. Would rubbing alcohol work as a non-corrosive cleaner to get the grease out?
Terry
Posted By: chrisf

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/03/18 05:29 PM

i know not everybody has access to this but i have been experimenting with my vapor blaster (glass bead and water slurry in a cabinet) i have been having great luck on original plastics and rubber. a while back i thought i would try wiring. it does a great job. wiring is soft again and everything is nice and clean.

Attached picture plug1.jpg
Attached picture plug2.jpg
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/03/18 06:21 PM

I don't think blasting the metal terminals is a good idea, they will corrode much easier now. They do have a coating on the that protects them.

The exterior of,the plastic and wires looks good.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/03/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
I don't think blasting the metal terminals is a good idea, they will corrode much easier now. They do have a coating on the that protects them.

The exterior of,the plastic and wires looks good.

you dont remove any coating with this blasting. Any green monster that was in it before blasting ate that coating a long time ago anyways

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/03/18 11:57 PM

That looks great.
Terry
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: 74 Rallye Charger Wiring Harness Cleaning - 04/04/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By 71vert340
Looking at the plugs, I don't see corrosion as much as I see little globs of old grease. Would rubbing alcohol work as a non-corrosive cleaner to get the grease out?
Terry

1. DeoxIT 5 works great to clean corrosion.
2. Dielectric grease works great to prevent future corrosion. Very old dielectric grease is the brown smudge you're looking at in the old connector.
3. Rubbing alcohol & a Q-tip would be a great "plastic safe" way to clean out the old, brown dielectric grease....then use some new dielectric grease & plug it in!
© 2024 Moparts Forums