Moparts

Can you add patina to a new seat cover?

Posted By: viperakron

Can you add patina to a new seat cover? - 03/08/18 06:29 PM

Strange question but thought I'd ask. I have a real nice survivor car (66 Coronet 500) but the drivers front seat was too torn to save. I had both front seats recovered so they'd match. The rear seats are excellent and cleaned up almost like new, but have faded some over the years.

Is there a process to take some of the "new" off the the recovered seats to blend with the originals? Wondering if anyone has done this.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Can you add patina to a new seat cover? - 03/08/18 07:17 PM

Keep eating beans and go for long drives... fart
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Can you add patina to a new seat cover? - 03/09/18 04:14 AM

I've never heard of it being done, BUT if you want your seat covers to "sunlight fade" subject them to hours & hours of UV light....a tanning booth would be perfect. Remember that UV light is really, really bad for your eyes, so be careful. Also, be careful not to melt the seats if they are vinyl.

I notice your "tag line" about science....you can change the result you show on paper, but you can't change reality....ask me how I know
Posted By: burdar

Re: Can you add patina to a new seat cover? - 03/09/18 04:21 AM

Some cleaners have a warning on them. They say to test on a hidden area before using on more visible places. Maybe you can test different products and see if one would chemically age the vinyl.

Another option would be to put a want add out there for some good quality original covers.
Posted By: viperakron

Re: Can you add patina to a new seat cover? - 03/09/18 03:52 PM

I've got some pieces for samples might try scotchbright type materials or coffee wash and see what happens.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Can you add patina to a new seat cover? - 03/10/18 03:41 AM

if you had a good sandblast guy he can age your seats but those colors are dyed so they wont be awesome but if he/she is good you could try. perhaps try your old covers and see. the garment industry regularly media blasts clothes, especially jeans to age them
© 2024 Moparts Forums