Moparts

Repairing Shaker trim ring studs?

Posted By: sawdust

Repairing Shaker trim ring studs? - 03/04/09 02:34 AM

Repairing Shaker trim ring studs?
Question on best way to repair shaker hood trim ring studs that are broken off.
First though was to grind off the pot metal remnants and tig weld a flat head 10-24 screw to the ring but wondering if anyone has been successful at tig welding to the pot metal original shaker trim ring. I know that some pot metal is not conducive to tig welding.
Other option I know of is drill, tap and install a stud.
Only two are broken and hate to buy a repro.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!!!
Posted By: YYZ

Re: Repairing Shaker trim ring studs? - 03/04/09 02:36 AM

Contact member mccannix
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Repairing Shaker trim ring studs? - 03/04/09 02:47 AM

Jeff Bobst 319-352-2511
Posted By: N9671X2

Re: Repairing Shaker trim ring studs? - 03/05/09 11:52 AM

I ground down the broken studs, placed the ring on hood, marked center of holes that needed repaired. Drilled, tapped and ran a new stud through the top and set it with JB Weld. Cut off top of bolt that was on the top side of ring, Very small amount of spot putty, worked out very well.
Posted By: P1970HeMICuDA

Re: Repairing Shaker trim ring studs? - 03/05/09 12:32 PM

Quote:

I ground down the broken studs, placed the ring on hood, marked center of holes that needed repaired. Drilled, tapped and ran a new stud through the top and set it with JB Weld. Cut off top of bolt that was on the top side of ring, Very small amount of spot putty, worked out very well.

I agree, I ground the stud down on the top, then filled small divet with All-Metal body filler. That stuff can be filed or sanded.
Posted By: sawdust

Re: Repairing Shaker trim ring studs? - 03/07/09 12:19 PM

Thanks, that was the one approach I was leaning towards. Will try this weekend, as getting ready to shoot the body this month.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Repairing Shaker trim ring studs? - 03/07/09 01:13 PM

My late cousin ground the head of the correct size bolts down until it was slightly thinner than a dime. He then used high quality epoxy to glue the modified bolt to the trim ring. It was amazingly strong and long lasting. In fact, they seemed stronger than the originals and are still in place today.
© 2024 Moparts Forums